I will make an Auto Tyre truer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I will make an Auto Tyre truer

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

dont worry bout negatives give it ago wats the worst that can happen???? no hurt in trying i have NFI bout half the stuff being spoken about but all sounds good and if this works dont forget ur good friend i have seen a home made 1 and it worked perfectly and u seem a little more intelligent then the guy that i saw make it plus u got all these great blokes helping u out u possibly cant fail goodluck
Old 06-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Collins
Remember, your bringing this upon yourself to look much more stupid than your empty post if you can't explain yourself properly.
On the contrary, I am not the one claiming I am going to build the worlds greatest tyre truer & in the same breathe asking people to take apart their own truers & post up picks so I know what one looks like am I?
Old 06-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

On the contrary? Are you trying to at least sound knowledgable? Guess what Atomix, your the one coming across to look like a turkey, not me. If your going to try put something down, do it right with enough evidence that something like this can't be done. If you bothered to read all the posts clearly, you would submise a few things that obviously you missed due to your expansion chamber you call a brain. Now, just to clear up your misfortunes of not being able to understand, I asked people for honest and worthy opinions on how something like this could be done (if you read between the lines). I aksed for photo's of internals, because I believe that there is always a better way to do something. If you would like to join others that are willing to pay the price of a top rated Hudy at the wallet bursting price, then go ahead. My thoughts are that they are well made and nicely designed, but also paid for in just the name also. Marketing can blow things out of proportion tremendously. I on the other hand am more creative than just flashing money here there and everywhere. I don't propose to, as you put it "build the worlds greatest tyre truer", but then again, from alll of your skilled reading and interpreting of context, you came up with the most elaborate description. Thank you.
I have never owned a tyre truer, so my first thoughts were to ask this great online comunity to help out by taking some of the gues work that I might have to do, but never mind... I can guess what and how these are made, and try better them. My ideas to me seem flawless, but as you see it flawed, I am very open to your suggestions and highly sought after expansion pipe of a brain. Please reiterate your thoughts on this, you can argue till the cows come home and you are blue in the face, but without substantial facts and evidence, then you are blowing it all out of proportion.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Kosta, I have enough engineers that will help with machining up the things I need, so am quite confident on this project. If I need anyone to do some small milling or turning are there any people in here that can do some work from drawings if need be? When I see negativities being blown out of pie holes, I just laugh to myself and think... what an idiot.
Kosta, are you still possibly free for tomorrow, things may be good for me as we are looking for another house today.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Collins, found this site http://www.oceancontrols.com.au they have a stepper motor controller (KT-5179) that should suit those stepper motors from jaycar. They also have a 4x20 lcd and a serial interface board for very good prices.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I have been reading this over the last couple of days and i cant wait to see how you go, sounds like it will be awesome when its finished. We have ppl at work who knock good ideas on the head all the time, only because they didnt think of it first! All great inventions start as a good idea, and it takes innovative ppl to make them work. Last time i looked this forum was called RCTech, and this is the sort of thread I would expect to see here. Its great to see ppl offer help and ideas to add to your own, like a R+D team just going for it So go for it collins, at least you are having a go. Who knows, it might be the next big thing in R/C?

Its easy to bag others ideas when you dont have any good ones yourself

Cheers
Old 06-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Tech Regular

Hey... this site is fantastic, seems they have quite a bit of what I need, but will this gear be able to be used with a picaxe system? I am still to get to grips with the programing part, but I can see all capabilities of these systems. Have you managed to have a look through my mud-map sketch? What may be the main issues I will need to address. I am enjoying keeping this an open forum in regard to the design and ideas behind the direction of where this is going. I will not claim to be the sole designer of what I intend to try and do, by the looks of things this might end up being an RCTECH joint design based on the help I can get. I could make this entirely myself, but now with the options I have been presented with, I believe this can really be a fairly hi-tech tool. Thanks Pramac and Ashley...
Old 06-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Tech Regular

The picaxe can drive small lcds very simply when using the serial interface module. I dont see why it couldn't control the stepper through the kt5179 kit either. The only thing i'm not sure how you can do is the sonar depth range finder thing. Also maybe cut down the number of switches, you may not need both the up/down as well as having the +/- buttons.
What is the Motor Mind Motor Control Module, I cant find any info on it.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Tech Regular

Here is the link to the motor mind B for solutions cubed web site...
http://www.solutions-cubed.com/solut...s/MMB_DS_1.PDF
Old 06-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The reason I'm so interested in this is because I'm (slowly) gathering the parts to build a CNC milling machine... this is kinda the same thing, except its more of a turning rather that milling machine...

I've been busy today repairing damage from last night's racing, but I'm still hovering...
Old 06-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Tech Regular

Just been reading the data sheet for the motor mind b module, i'm very impressed. I like how it has the tachometer measuring ability built-in and how it can just send that info back to the picaxe for speed adjusting purposes and display on the lcd. Can you get hold of a motor with the tacho output from somewhere?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Tech Regular

hmmm... well, that is what got me stumped, I think it reads the current flow to the motor and relays the info as rpm, I don't know of any electrical motor that has a signal sending unit attached? If you have a look at the same site as the motor mind B, have a look at the Motor mind 2... It looks better and only slightly higher in cost, it can run 2 motors and an amazing amount of data with it. I think it may also control a stepper motor?
Old 06-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Tech Regular

That motor mind 2 looks some serious overkill for this project, i'd stick with the B version. To get the rpm it counts pulses sent out from a tacho in the motor but if you cant get hold of a motor easily you might be able to rig one up by using an old pc cooling fan that has a tacho in it, or maybe rip an encoder out of an old style computer mouse. http://www.futurebots.com/motor.htm shows a dc motor with a tacho output.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Not sure about a tachometer ion the motor. Have you thought about using an encoder setup? The same way that a motor master uses one.

What is the main drive behind doing this? If its to save you money, I don’t think you will. And before you start flaming me for doubting you, read on.
I own my own business that manufactures outdoor laser tag guns. See www.lazerarmoury.com
Whilst I personally don’t do any programming or electronics design, I still fully appreciate the time and money that goes into a simple prototype (which is exactly what you are attempting here). Admittedly the electronics that go into my guns are somewhat more complex that what is required in your truer, the painstaking process of prototyping still applies. For a prototype board we look at around 200 or so hours for a VERY experienced programmer to write a program, let alone the designer to come up with a workable PCB design. Designing of the housing is again a very time and money consuming aspect of your prototype. Keep in mind that this is just a prototype. They are never going to be as good as your end product. They will fall apart, fail in many ways and generally look like shit. So as good as you think it will be, you will still want to make one that is good, once you have established that your concept actually works. In the end I envisage that this will cost you in the ball park of around $2,500 - $4,000 in parts and labour. But then, even that figure will move with your emotions and what you will "just accept" that it just wont do this or that.
Now, if you are doing this as a “hobby project” then knock yourself out. Good luck to you.
I personally think you are on the right track going with a PIC micro controller.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:28 AM
Tech Regular

Costing up what Collins has drawn in his diagram comes to just under $300 with maybe another $30 max in support components (power regulation and such) and about $35 to etch a PCB. If he wants an rpm sensor that will be additional cost. Although if you make your own stepper motor controllers you could take $40 off the price. What I think will be the most difficult and expensive part will be actually making the lathe itself. I mean those stepper motor for example aren't exactly tiny, where on earth do you put them, while keeping it looking neat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.