Wiki Posts
Search

vote for lipos

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

i still think there mare more pro's than cons for lip-po,

like not having to peak them at the right time / re-peak, life span, no tray needed, lighter, cheaper charger is good enough, etc... not having to let them cool down as much, not needing as many packs....

not having dead cells from new....

imagine the time in between heats with li-po in the pits,
just put a battery on charge and forget about it till its time to race
Old 06-06-2007, 01:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by promugenman
you're ipod uses a lipo too.
i'll have to stop walking around with it in my pocket... u never know it might explode and flames will be THIS big

Yes for modified, if the lower classes ie 19t/27t stock etc should stick to Sub-c's until lipos are just as cheap or cheaper, in which case it would be stupid not to offer racers on a budget something cheaper with better performace.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:21 AM
Tech Addict

Default vote

My vote would be lopo,s all the way the price will come down eventually but when you spend several hundred dollars on a car whats just a bit more on a battery.......
Old 06-06-2007, 02:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have never charged, discharged a LiPo or driven a car with one installed.

Just to get that out of the way.

Iam for them as i can see the benefits as far as convenience etc....

BUT

I know i could look after one etc and hat FOR ME safety wouldnt be a problem which is pretty much what most of you are saying.

But what about Barry or John that head down to their local hobby store and buy a cheap electric car, buggy or tourer whateverto bash around the yard with and decide to give LiPo's a go. I know people might say these guys wont wana spend the money but i have seen people off the street spend lots of money to go fast in a straight line! These are the people who i think are at most risk.

Education is good if people listen...

But as i said, iam for LiPo technology.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I vote YES.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I wish there was consistent information on this topic. We all know mobile phones, laptops etc use lithium ion cells, but we're talking polymer here.

Then I read articles like this that starts by saying that polymer should be inflammable, then says if overcharged can explode (as we've all heard).

It's therefore very difficult to form an opinion.

Also, is there a safety difference between the 'soft' packs (eg Maxamps) and the 'hard' packs (eg Orion)?

Without more questions answered I'm going to have to vote no. I would LOVE to vote yes and this technology is exciting, but need more consistent information to make an informed choice.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:06 AM
Tech Elite

Please make sure you understand the difference between Li-Po and Li-Ion batteries, it is big.
As far as the Fly boys using Li-Po batteries goes, there is a big difference between floating in the air at fairly constant RPM's and load, too what surface cars will impact on a battery pack.
Then check out the safety precautions that safety aware flying clubs go through when they have meetings to cater for Li-Po technology.
I have even seen the reports of several Li-Po destructions that happened after the so called safety period (hours later) of a burnt out full sized car from a damaged Li-Po pack that was considered safe.
Now this thread may cover some of the warnings and stories that surround this technology.
But really, how safe is it when we can get a battery without the safety data we need to know, and then being Australian's, when do we even read instructions to start with. You know that we can not stop anyone buying equipment from OS countries that does not have the same OHS laws, especially on E Bay, so how do we control your safety from the next person.

Just some thoughts too throw in here, as I am not not dead set against this technology, but maybe as Contact has mentioned, Li-Ion will be the future.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I still think that using lipos is an unfair advantage due to their slightly higher voltage and it will mean everyone who wants to be truely competitive has to upgrade to them.

Also i dont agree with Lipo users requesting that we should go with lower weight limits. If a manufacturer had the technology to bring out a car half the current weight, do you think people would laugh if the manufacturer on the back of their technological breakthrough, requested that people lower the weight limit to match that?
Old 06-06-2007, 06:19 AM
H I
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mangoman
it will mean everyone who wants to be truely competitive has to upgrade to them.
We have to upgrade to latest and fastest motor & best batteries at that time to be competitive anyway. I mean you don't see old Nicd batteries at state / national championship do you? We all use ib4200 or gp4300.

I vote for yes.

But if it does become legal I like to see strict rules about it.(no cheapy lipos which may be unstable, and proper charger for it and bucket of sand)

Restricting to certain brand lipo may be the start.
Personally I've never heard of Orion Lipo brow up yet but I did get hit by blown nimh
Old 06-06-2007, 06:25 AM
SJP
Tech Adept

There are lipo safe bags produced and sold for the purpose of safe charging and storage. The bags do not let any fire or chemicals exit, only a little smoke, also limited heat is only transmitted through the material. Not sure of they are compatible with the new forms of lipo's.
I will need to find them on the net again with youtube demonstrations of the company shorting and over charging to explode them in the bags.
If there are any doubts with the battery, toss it in the bag for 24hours to be certain.

It would also be good to see the weight limit drop if they were accepted, loosing a tonne of weight from one side requires a lot of lead to get back to 1525 with foam tyres.
Attached Thumbnails vote for lipos-image_00046.jpg  
Old 06-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

from teamxray.com

"The extra weight needed to add when using the LiPo battery pack"
Attached Thumbnails vote for lipos-untitled.jpg  
Old 06-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Is that your new ride? You'd have more weight if you at least put the arms back on the car :P
Old 06-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been using Lipo's in the reciever packs of my Nitro Monster Trucks for over 2 years now. I also use one in my Stadium Truck and in my transmitter. If anyone has seen a Nitro Monster Truck race they will know that there isn't anything much rougher in the RC world.

I have had no problems at all, I leave the battery in my Truck while I charge it.

Who here has actually witnessed a Lipo pack explode into flames? I'm not talking about videos on You Tuber either.

I bet more have seen other packs explode before. There are many things in this world that can be dangerous if not used correctly you can ban them all.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by El Pedro
I have had no problems at all, I leave the battery in my Truck while I charge it.

Who here has actually witnessed a Lipo pack explode into flames? I'm not talking about videos on You Tuber either.

i too have been using lipo rx and tx packs for a long time, and charge them in the truck/buggy...but...

i have personally seen a lipo explode - less flames (like the youtube vids)but it blew apart a 1:18 car that the battery was being charged in (there was an element of humor at the time) AND i have seen a GP3300 explode after the charger did something weird! it left a small crater in the ground when it went off and wasnt funny even at the time.

i dont care what the chemistry of the battery you should show respect... its at your peril if you dont

go with a 'fun' outlaw class - no weight, battery, body or tyre restrictions... see who can destroy the most speedos (thats why i mention LiIon - they have lower voltage but still have the benefits of LiPo)
Old 06-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

my $0.02.
Weight limit is weight limit. It’s got nothing to do with the type of batteries.
If anything, cars with lipos should have a higher min weight limit (say 1600g?) bcos of higher voltage from each

lipo pack!
What next - Will lipo users ask for a different body shell tolerance to compensate for lighter weight?

Higher run time is not the main selling point of Lipos.
In the Roar lipo exhibition class, they are running 20 mins main. Many lipo early adopters have orion 3200s and 4800s. they will now need to wire up 2 packs just to be able to complete the race.
So while longer run time is possible, it’s probably not the main priority on the "lipo agenda" at this point .. at least not until more manufacturers start producing 7000+ capacity lipos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.