Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MECA 2007 Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Tech Addict

nice to see the rules are still out there... if i've got nothing to do i might come down for a run in nitro tourer.

would have to buy to much gear to be competitive in electric by the looks - lipos and charger, 23t motor and convert my x-ray to a half-ray for weight limit
Old 04-19-2007, 02:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro dave
the rules seem very "relaxed". not alot of control in them, its giving people way too many advantages. I must admit though, the rules have changed since the last time i raced a MECA. A question though with the below rule;

Pull Start: Engine must be started by pull start ie: no rotor start or starter box can be used. The car used must be an R.T.R car not an open nitro kit.
Any commercial pullstart engine may be used.

Does this mean i cannot race with my traxxas nitro 4-Tec RTR kit that has a built in starter motor?

i thought roto start systems would be allowed cos you are still dragging a oneway bearing around on the back of the motor
Old 04-19-2007, 06:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Default pull start

Originally Posted by dangles
i thought roto start systems would be allowed cos you are still dragging a oneway bearing around on the back of the motor
I dont think so ,using electric starts are no different to using a bump start to start the engine.it defeats the purpose of having it as a pullstart class.

I think you will find that maximum engine size will be 15/16 size engine.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Tech Initiate

I like the rules being simple - no problems with free choice of bodies and tyres.

Having a 23turn stock class is a little bit different though I usually race stock but I think I will go down to 540 for MECA because I don't know how my 27 turn stock motor would fair in the 23 turn class.

The rules for the Lipos are pretty vague - 3 cell lipos appear to have not been outlawed...11v

The nitro rules seem a bit restrictive - it has to be both an RTR and a pullstart? I don't know if I will qualify for the pullstart class (and I am not competitive in the open class) - I do have a pullstart, and my car was a RTR TC3 - but I have replaced the stock engine (with another pullstart) and I have replaced the cheapo electronics with spectrum radio gear and replaced the body with a custom painted body - does this mean it is no longer an RTR? How many mods can you make before it ceases to be an RTR? (in my opinion it would have been better simply to make the pullstart the defining character of the class).
Old 04-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Pull Start

It states at the top of the page

Rules:
Engine must be started by pull start ie: no rotor start or starter box can be used.
The car used must be an R.T.R car not an open nitro kit.
Any commercial pullstart engine may be used.

Hope this helps

Originally Posted by Deano1234
I like the rules being simple - no problems with free choice of bodies and tyres.

Having a 23turn stock class is a little bit different though I usually race stock but I think I will go down to 540 for MECA because I don't know how my 27 turn stock motor would fair in the 23 turn class.

The rules for the Lipos are pretty vague - 3 cell lipos appear to have not been outlawed...11v

The nitro rules seem a bit restrictive - it has to be both an RTR and a pullstart? I don't know if I will qualify for the pullstart class (and I am not competitive in the open class) - I do have a pullstart, and my car was a RTR TC3 - but I have replaced the stock engine (with another pullstart) and I have replaced the cheapo electronics with spectrum radio gear and replaced the body with a custom painted body - does this mean it is no longer an RTR? How many mods can you make before it ceases to be an RTR? (in my opinion it would have been better simply to make the pullstart the defining character of the class).
Old 04-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Initiate

That doesn't really help - the question is not about the engine. The question is when an RTR becomes an 'open nitro kit' (whatever that means??? - is it defined somewhere???).

If I take my RTR NTC3 and upgrade all of its parts to factory team standard (so that it becomes identical to the factory team version), is it still an RTR or has it become a factory team NTC3? If it has become a factory team version, when did it become so? (ie. after one upgrade, two upgrades, three.....) Where is the line drawn?

The reason I ask is that my NTC3 is probably half way to becoming a factory team edition. The major noticeable difference is that I have not bought the upgrades to make it run with a non-pull start, rear exhaust, motor (my version still has the RTR side exhaust pipe). I also don't have swaybars. Other than that, the only difference is that I haven't bothered to upgrade non-performance related (bling bling) things - ie. I am still running with the standard turnbuckles and the standard screws etc (ie. not the anodised blue titanium ones). Will I be disqualified at scrutineering for running an 'open nitro kit'?
Old 04-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

MECA is supposed to be a fun event man, if you're looking to race for sheep's stations i'd suggest either not to bother, or put in a serious effort to win.

Also, this is just my opinion, im not in anyway involved in the running of the event, but my opinion is, common sense should prevail.

if you have a full upgrade of some nice shiney blue turnbuckles, really, you aren't altering the perfomrance of the RTR. also most people upgrade the radio's also at some point so you'd also have to let this slide also. Now if you upgraded the kit to full alloy screws, full alloy turnbuckles, then maybe you'd start to question it's ability to be classified as a RTR. also if there is CF stuff on it, you'd also eliminate it from the RTR class. at the end of the day it is up to the race director.

Basically RTR class (in my opinion anyway) should be as cheap to run, KEEPING IN MIND COMMON SENSE as possible.

also, if your car is being questioned as to whether it meets RTR spec maybe this is a sign that you should go into the pro class. now again, if you have a problem in going to the pro class because you will "get wooped" then the assumption would be you are racing to win, or at least racing to be in the pointy end of the feild. if this is the case then you are racing for sheeps stations, and you might as well forget it. You either enter an event to win, and go all out trying to win it, or you enter for fun, realistically there is no middle ground. no one enters an event aiming to finish 20th position out of 40 drivers right!? and if you race to "improve your driving, and challenge yourself" this is essentially racing for fun also
Old 04-27-2007, 02:09 AM
Tech Initiate

urrrr - I don't know where all that came from.....sheep stations????? I think you have me confused with somebody else.

All I want to know is whether I am eligible to enter the comp.....a simple explaination of the rules will set me straight. Telling me that it is just common sense doesn't answer the question for me - if the answer was that obvious I wouldn't be asking.

There is a fee for entering in the comp and I would rather not pay it if I am going to be disqualified immediately on the grounds that I am not eligible to race in that class. I could enter the open nitro but at my pace I would be in the way and that would not be fair on the other open drivers.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:57 AM
Tech Regular

Default MECA ENTRY FORM 2007

MECA ENTRY FORM 2007
Attached Files
File Type: doc
2007MECAentryformR2.doc (30.5 KB, 124 views)
File Type: pdf
2007MECAentryformR2 PDF.pdf (160.2 KB, 139 views)
Old 04-30-2007, 01:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Deano1234

I would like to answer your question about RTR car. Deano1234, your car is qualifying to race in "PULLSTRAT" class for MECA Challenge.
As long as you car is from RTR kit and the engine that you replaced is still operate by pullstart.

We don’t want to see someone brought Kyosho RRR/Mugen Seiki MTX4 and put in pullstart engine and race in pullstart class.
Those car kits are pro car compare with RTR cars.

Engine, you will be lucky if you still can find the same engine as in the kit. This is why the rule says “Any commercial pullstart engine may be used” because we understand that kit engine is very hard to find and it is costing you double of other commercial pullstart engine.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Default rtr question?

Guys can we run the fw-05s and the v-one s 3?

these arent rtr because you have to build yourself but there i sno carbon fibre or hopups and its a pull start engine.

can modifications be done to the engine?

can we run rb/novarossi pull start engines?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrgsr
Guys can we run the fw-05s and the v-one s 3?

these arent rtr because you have to build yourself but there i sno carbon fibre or hopups and its a pull start engine.

If it's not RTR it's a pro.

p.s. why the inclusion of Lola bodies in pro nitro?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:17 PM
SJP
Tech Adept

As far as i can recall, lola bodies have always been included at Meca races.
It was the only race every year that allowed them.

Good Times :
Old 04-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Going by MECAs from years past, dont worry about the rules as they wont be enforced anyway. Pick a class & go hard
Old 04-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Double post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.