so many options

Old 02-24-2007, 01:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default so many options

hey guys
im new to the world of rc and im thinking of getting a 1/10 electric on road but there are so many brands i was just wondering what is the most popular in australia
also ive been looking at the hot bodies cyclone s is this a good car or not
thanks
Old 02-24-2007, 01:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi there
The Cyclone is a great car, I would look here on Rctech second hand section,there is a guy selling a HPI/Cyclone Pro 4 which is a bargain. It has all the hop ups already so no money to spend. The Cyclone is a great car but I feel after a few months you will want to start to hop it up to maybe hara spec's and then you will be spending a lot of money. Go for a good second hand one that someone has already done the spending on.
Just my 2 cents
I hope this has helped.
Also visit your local race track and talk to a few guy's, the Rc world is full of great people that would love to help you make the right choice.
Good luck
Addam
Old 02-24-2007, 03:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I agree with Addams words, although I would not buy a Pro 4 as they have been discontinued (If you get one cheap enough then they are an excellent car, but some vital parts will start to dry up over time and re-sale will not be very good). The Cyclone however is a fantastic car and HPI/HB are well supported around Aus or O/S so parts and spare will not be a problem.

As Addam mentioned, go to your local track or tracks if you lucky enough to have a few available and talk to the guy's who are racing. You don't have to have the most popular or the latest, you just need to buy wisely and only the things you need as you get better. Obvioulsy I'm going to say that the Top Racing Scythe is the way to go, but there is plenty of cars out there.

As a starter the Cyclone S is a very good car to learn with. It is more than capable in 540 and will perform well in Stock until your driving and experience calls for a more PRO chassis. The beauty is you can then simply buy the Pro Cyclone version and transfer you electronics and off you go.

Second hand is not a bad option either as you tend to get good value for money.

There will more than likely be quite a few TC4, Schumacher Mi2EC and Corally RDX's coming up for sale as these models have new versions coming out soon. There will be some good bargains to be had there.

Cheers
Aaron
Old 02-24-2007, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Popularity wise i would say the XRay (T2 or 007) is the most common in Sydney, dont know about other areas. The Cyclone is starting to catch up with XRay though. But there are also a lot of other good kits available.

I personally believe you should try to get a belt drive kit if possible. Generally most people find them easier to drive.

From what i have heard the Cyclone is easier to get going out of the box than the XRay however once you get the XRay how you like it, it is a very good car.

However, these are top of the line cars with the price tags to match.

The XRay T2R is a step down a good car but a little hard to get a hold off due to stock levels.

The Cyclone S and TA-05 are perhaps the next step down. Someone pointed out in a forum the other day that a lot of people with TA-05s end up buying heaps of hop up parts for them while with the Cyclone S this doesnt yet seem to be the case (although i have :P). However, there are a lot of hop ups available for the Cyclone S if you do choose to go down that path.

One main problem with the Cyclone S is get a spare pair of carbon graphite C Hubs, as the kit ones are very brittle. Its just C Hubs which seem to be a problem the rest of the car is OK

A couple of other things are look for parts supplies. It helps if you buy a kit which you can spares for easily.
And if you are going to race have a look at what the people at the track are racing. If they have the car you have, they are more likely to give you a hand and know how to help you with problems.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

why is it not many people like the losi jrx-s? i think it has the potential to be a greta car, the way it is designed, i just got mine a week ago so yeah, iam very happy with it .....
Old 02-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Tech Rookie

ok so based on popularity and spare parrts which would be best a cyclone s or a xray t2r or is there any others
Old 02-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by source
ok so based on popularity and spare parrts which would be best a cyclone s or a xray t2r or is there any others
source,
You have PM...
Old 02-24-2007, 04:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

See I still think if you chuck a new racer in the deep end with a high end car it'll be counterproductive. Let a new racer learn with something like a TT-01, less set up changes needed, cheap parts and let them get a feel for racing, not disillusioned with poor performance from camber/caster/toe etc adjustments which, when you're learning is just a huge head spin. And a new racer will invariably crash, so cheap bits are a must. Anyone priced up Corally parts lately? A new TT-01 Chassis is $16, and it's a damn tough car (I raced OFF ROAD with mine last night, and came out unscathed)
Old 02-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Tech Rookie

ok well what do u think is better, more popular, more spares/hop ups
either the cyclone s ,the tamiya TA-05 ot the tamiya TT-01

Last edited by source; 02-24-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Tech Adept

I started racing last year and am still very much rookie racer, so thought I'd share my experiences.

I started off with a TT01, mainly because I already had one to go bashing around carparks and stuff. As nexus says, its an incredibly tough car that can take a lot of abuse and parts are very cheap. However I found that unless your racing in a TT01 only class, it simply doesn't have enough speed to keep up with the others cars, even in the 540 class (chassis flexes a fair bit, and very limited gearing)

When I upgraded from the TT01, the TA05 was one of the front runners. I'd also say the Cyclone S would have been as well if it had been released at the time I was buying. They both appear to be good value cars with all the basic tuning options you need to get started off in racing.

Echoing previous comments, I'd say check out your local track and LHS and go with the one that is more popular or common. You will need parts (whether due to crashes or normal wear and tear) and advice, so go with the one that has more local support (other racers at your club, and LHS). If your starting out, both cars will be equally good and you probably won't notice any difference between then until your ability has outgrown the chassis.

FYI I ended up going with a Losi XXX-S when I upgraded from the TT01 as I was lazy (it came RTR with all electrics and radio etc) and seem to be cheapest way to get back into racing at the time. If I was to do it again, I'd probably be considering the TA05 (if budget was tight), Cyclone S (if it wasn't so tight and was looking at a lot of future hop-ups), or XRay T2R (if budget was a bit free-er and as there's a couple of LHS' in my area which stock their parts)
Old 02-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Rookie

ok thanks also does would the hpi sprint 2 be a good car
Old 02-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Oh forgot about the losi RTR, for starting off from scratch i personally think it is the best car to choose if you are on a budget. Getting a new car with shell and electronics is a good deal for $400.

Yeah racing a simple car like a TT-01 has its advantages in making things simple however it cant keep up in 540 due to the fact that you cant gear it properly unless you start throwing any gear in and dont mind replacing those gears more often as they get crunched. I started off with a couple of TB02s which had the same problem and its depressing racing and knowing you cant keep up with the rest of the field due to the car.

If you are willing to wait and do lots of research then i personally would buy second hand equipment or a Cyclone S/XRay T2R/TA-05 with most of the rest of the stuff second hand. However, there is a lot of stuff which you need to consider so you'll probably just get sick of trying to find lots of second hand equipment second hand in the end. Further to this buying lots of second hand equipment will be time consuming and frustrating as youll just be sitting there waiting to find everything you need and wanting to go to the track and race.

With regards to spares are hop ups, you should have much of a problem getting them in Australia for the Cyclone S. The TA-05 is also pretty good for spares however most people hop up their TA-05s with cheaper 3racing parts which are normally purchased overseas.

TT-01 spares should be good but dont even consider bothering to hop it up. It is just a waste of money. You should get a set of bearings for the TT-01 and probably not much else.

I think the HPI Sprint is a pretty low level car, if you are looking at a RTR kit i would definitely choose the losi over it.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Tech Rookie

based on spares/popularity/hop ups
which would be better the cyclone s or a TA-05
Old 02-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Tech Rookie

based on spares/popularity/hop ups
which would be better the cyclone s or a TA-05
comon can someone help me out
Old 02-26-2007, 12:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

comon can someone help me out

In my opinion, and this is just my opion. Id have to say it would be easier to get parts for the TA05, it seems 90% of hobbie and toy shops(who stock quality RC) stock Tamiya. Unless of course you are prepaired to travel all of the city or wait for mail orders to arrive when you just need a simple part.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.