Wiki Posts
Search

bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 12:31 AM
Ooj
Tech Regular

Default bearings

I am sick and tired of the bearings that came with the evo3. absolute pieces of !@#$. After every race meet they are full of crap and barely move. Would it be better to fill them up with a thick grease for less maintenance of just clean and royal oil every week?

The other solution I was thinking of was to get a new set of bearings. Any suggestions on what to get, prices and where to get them? Are sealed bearings just the same as normal bearings except they have rubber shields? How is the maintenance and performance of these type of bearings?
Old 03-17-2003, 01:32 AM
Tech Adept

Default Hey ooj

I think it would be better if you got rid of the grease and oil all together and use graphite powder. Its the oil and grease that is attracting the dirt.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

just blast them out with motor spray or contact cleaner, the more grease you put it the more dirt it can attract!
Old 03-17-2003, 05:06 AM
Tech Elite

no don't take oil out, and fill with graphite powder. they will seaze.

some ruber sealed bearings are just normal chrome/steel balls with a rubber cover.

the good ones are stainless steel balls and body etc (non rusting cleanable with water) with a rubber seal. (these cost more of course). go all out on the bearings. go to a bearings supplier and ask for "MBA" brand bearings.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

http://www.smallparts.com.au/
Heaps of (MBA) bearings
Old 03-17-2003, 02:27 PM
Tech Champion

i have not even botherd to check the bearings in my evo 3 or any of my cars, but once you clean them out and re-oil, you will have to maintain them evey week.

i just leave tham as they were out of the packet, no issues at all.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:35 AM
Ooj
Tech Regular

I think ill get some new sealed ones. Ive had some sealed ones on my F1 for years and they never need maintenance......i dont know what brand they were though. Are the tamiya ones any good?

by the way alfa, these bearings are so bad that sparying them with motor cleaner forces dirt into the bearing as well as removing all the lubricant inside...... its more worthwhile to take the shields off and clean and lube it up again!!!
Old 03-18-2003, 01:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Genuine Tamiya bearings are some of the best available. if you want good ones spend the cash and get them
Old 03-18-2003, 02:11 AM
Tech Adept

Yes, I agree with Bradd Tamiya Blue Plastic sealed bearings are the go for sure, but at about $3-4 each.

I heard that the best way to get performance out of these is to remove one sheild and spray out all the thick lube that comes in it and then re oil it with thinner stuff, then just reseal it, easy !

I also have some Blue teflon sealed bearing in my Losi which dont seem to pic up much dirt in them, and i also have no idea how much they cost ! but they seem to work well...

In my atlas i run metal sheilded bearings only because i cbf getting new ones but i am sure i will because the ones in the hubs are already feeling rough with lots of dirt in them.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

all this talk of maintaining bearings got me thinking so i went to clean the bearings out of my b3 for the proam just now and apon inspection they had no resistence and spun increadilby freely which is not bad considering that i have had the car for 3 years and never cleaned them before. just one question how would i go about removing the shield to clean the bearings
Old 03-19-2003, 12:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Dont worry about taking off the shields it is not worth it, all you will notice is that you will have to clean your bearings every race meeting.
especially in offroad buggy you will never otice any difference
Old 03-19-2003, 02:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

no in wasnt going to pull them apart i was just wondering so if u take the shield off then you cant put it back on ???
Old 03-19-2003, 03:05 AM
Tech Adept

that only really works on tamiya blue rubber sealed bearings i think, but if they are smooth dont worry about it then !
Old 03-19-2003, 01:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To take the shield off you have to remove the shield retainer, which is basically a thin C clip that sits ontop of the shield against the outer edge of the bearing, use a sharp hobby knife to pry it off. Its a little hard to explain but if you look closely youll be able to see it.

To remove the shield use the tip of a sharp hobby knife. Be very careful that you dont damage the shield because if its bent/out of shape etc it will be easier for dirt to get in the bearing.

Flush out the bearing, oil/grease it etc, put the shield and clip back on and there you go.

hope that helps
Old 03-19-2003, 03:50 PM
Ooj
Tech Regular

I think ill have to have a look at the prices for the tamiay blue rubber sealed ones now. The smallparts site quoted me $110 for a full bearing upgrade (excluding the steering bearings and diff thrust bearing). the following bearings are needed. Are they wierd sizes? Anyone know approximately where to get these and how much or do all tamiya bearings cost $3-4 each as jono said?

4* 15mm outer, 10mm inner, 4mm high
2* 12mm outer, 8mm inner, 3.5mm high
1* 12mm outer, 6mm inner, 4mm high
8* 11mm outer, 5mm inner, 4mm high

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.