Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4wd Offroad Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Overall, my day at Ryde was good - i now know what breaks on the car! Practice on saturday was ok, just getting used to mod (i ran an LRP sphere comp and an LRP Vector X-11 6.5) and i just have to say Damn! what a handfull! pulled the one way out, changed springs, played with camber and toe, and got it as best as i could.
On the race day, every time the car went on the track, something went wrong. snapped shock towers, broken C hub, lost king pin, snapped or bent a turnbuckle......... I didnt have different tyres to try just the holeshots and they just didnt have enough grip but i had to make do with them and adjusted driving style to suit. Sorry to the other guys in mod who had me as an obsticle rather than a challange, i think everyone had a go at lapping me.....at least 4 times! Thanks to all the guys i pitted with that helped me out - Josh, Tony, Brad, Michael, all advice was appreciated.
It wasnt easy racing mod, but i wont let a bad experience deter me either. It was a good practice run for the NZ titles and its prepared me for the speed and accuracy required to compete in the class also.
Im deffinately enjoying the EP offroad scene, its a nice change from nitro on road!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Painy starting a thread that's sensible and posting comments with substance? Now that's a first

4WD MOD is going to be crazy spec in NSW this year!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Painy
If ever you need me to help you with you ZX5 Tune, just come say hi.
Shall do mate, Thanks. You already fixed it once at Illawara last year for me.

Better find myself a front diff then.

Nitrodave. you can strengthen the front shock tower heaps by running the plastic/composite tower and the carbon tower at the same time sandwiched in behind it.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=Tune71]Shall do mate, Thanks. You already fixed it once at Illawara last year for me.

Better find myself a front diff then.

QUOTE]

I remeber, hand made a king pin for ya

On another note, Myself and Anthony campbel will be doing 4wd testing at St-Ives this Saterday.

If Anyone is interested in coming along.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Tune, although are you talking about the carbon moulded or carbon fibre? I busted 2 carbon fibre towers.....in one go. the plast towers work well for me, i have spares too.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

carbon moulded or plastic, backed with a flat carbon fibre one. You need longer bolts to go through the shock tower mount but thats all. I'll post a pic up of mine when I get home from racing tonight.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro dave
Thanks Tune, although are you talking about the carbon moulded or carbon fibre? I busted 2 carbon fibre towers.....in one go. the plast towers work well for me, i have spares too.
Careful putting two shock towers together, do that on a XXX4 and you've got yourself a broken chassis.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Painy
Did you check those front tapers you have?
Unfortunately car is about 10km away at my house lol. Does make sense that might be 2wd tyres tho (had BK2 as well until recently).

Dont spose you wanna do this old man a favour and reel of the part #'s for the correct tyre do ya? lol
Old 01-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

I think its A-7285 in red compound.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Tune, i know what you mean now but unfortunately i cant anymore as i broke both carbon fibre towers through the centre holes. i'll post up a pic shortly.

im not getting anymore carbon fibre though, cost too much and upsetting to see it break that quick.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

4WD MOD is going to be crazy spec in NSW this year!
Agreed, 4WD mod will be off the chain this year.

I'm predicting at least 5 full heats at the nats and a minimum four different types of cars in the main.

It's awesome that there are now at least eight different chassis' that given a decent steerer and the right track conditions, can get the job done. That's not including some of those weird-ass hybrid cars either, or the Durango... not that it's ever officially been released.

Personally, I'll persist with the XXX4 for now

Cheers,
Scotty P.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i had fun on the weekend, but please tell me that track is not a representation of the other tracks in Sydney? if felt like walking back into a time warp, same people, same cars, same level of organisation, same shit conditions.

The little Academy fella had a few teething problems, but nothing that cant be worked out, and the organic factor behind the wheel had more issues than the car
Old 01-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hi,
Do losi shocks make a huge differance on a bj4we.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Matt,

They make a huge difference to the person in terms of "ease of use" if you dont know how to build an associated shock.

As for a performance gain, you might go a bit slower because you wont be able to copy the good guys setups.

Honestly, the Ass shocks are sweet as.

There is only one guy i know who runs losi shocks on his Bj4, seams ok. but i prefer to run the shocks that the car is desighned around.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Besercoe
i had fun on the weekend, but please tell me that track is not a representation of the other tracks in Sydney? if felt like walking back into a time warp, same people, same cars, same level of organisation, same shit conditions.

The little Academy fella had a few teething problems, but nothing that cant be worked out, and the organic factor behind the wheel had more issues than the car
Yes brad, Make sure you sighn up for the Nats, becasue that will be a nice track. Ryde always has trouble with there surface.

See how you go brad at a big race with lots of people and a good layout, i am sure you will enjoy it more.

If not, no big loss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.