Wiki Posts
Search

• • •I have a question that requires answering• • •

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 02:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Default • • •I have a question that requires answering• • •

I need some help

Does customs fee exists for a national purchase ? ? ?

I am thinking of getting a HPI Savage21, I can either purchase it from the USA, Japan, Hong Kong or Perth Austraila.

A HPI Savage21 will cost around AUS$1000, and if I purchase it internationlly, I might have to paid a customs fee.

But if I purchase the kit nationlly, from Perth to Sydney, will the cusoms fee still apply ? ? ?

I need to do some calculation because the kit is alot cheaper overseas and if customs fee applies for a nation purchase, I might as well get the kit from overseas.

Thank you for your help ! ! !
Old 03-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

no you do not incur a customs fee from within Australia.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

if you but from overseas, you will be hit with around $250+ in customs fee, just buy it here in OZ - no customs fee.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:49 PM
Tech Adept

If you keep your purchase under $400 aus you should not pay duty.
On any purchase where there is less than $50 duty owing customs normally wont chase it. They have a book called the bible anything that is imported into the country is in it.Some of the online suppliers will post the invoice seperate to the goods to try and save you paying any sort of fee.But customs is waking up to the fact.If you bring in expensive goods you may be required to show an importers licence or prove the goods are actually for yourself.
Not very pleasant happened to me and i used to do the australia post side of customs. Boss in brisbane is a stickler for rules!!!!
SUPPORT the local guys first,talk to them might just cut a deal for you. They have the knowledge to back up the product. Only time i go o\s is when i can't get the bits i need local.

Hope this answers your question

Terry
Old 03-06-2003, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Import licence? How long ago was this?
From http://customs.gov.au

"There is no requirement for companies or individuals to hold an import licence. However, depending on the nature of the commodity, and regardless of value, owners may need to obtain permits to facilitate clearance of goods. Some, not all, of the goods requiring permits, and the relevant permit issuing agencies, are included in this section."

My last servo I got from Overseas, cost me around $160. That's including the EMS postage cost. The cheapest ive seen the same servo in Australia is $225 (+ postage).

From what I can gather, when you are over $250 (value+postage) you get charged: 5% customs fee and then 10% gst. Maybe someone who has got some $$$ stuff not long ago can tell us?

And yes go speak to the local guys to get a real price
Old 03-06-2003, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

I had brought in a turbo 35 for a friend. I was called into the balc
Brisbane air logistics center where all imported goods for qld go.(airmail)only.
At that stage i was bringing in aprox 800 dollars a month of goods for friends kit one month, charger the next. If they feel something is going on they can keep a check on what you bring in..i was just unlucky, some people never get questioned!!
First they use the dogs after everything is layd out.
Only then do they pickout a certain percent to check. Customs and auspost work in unison Auspost do the unpacking and repacking & customs do the checking.
Some people get caught with the fee's some don't. Thats the message i'm tring to get accross.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

oh ok.. bummer
Old 03-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

I just recently purcahsed a V-One S, front/rear sway bars, 2 speed and cooling fan.

All come to $485 delivered (ems) and i didnt get charged anything.

I called customs once before and a lady said customs wont get charged unless a minimum of $50.00 GST can be placed on it, which means as long as you stay under $500, your safe.

All of my international orders dont exceed $490 and i havent been slugged.

* to add also, that is $500 worth of GOODS, not including delivery. just keep that in mind.

Ive been doing this for over a year, and have only been caught out once, but then i ordered $775 worth of car and parts. so i knew what i was getting myself into - i had no choice, the importers didnt bring this car in.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

How much did you pay on the $775 car?
Old 03-06-2003, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

$216 i paid. but it was worth it, since i saved a bit buying it over there.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

$216?hmmm now I am at a loss to how they work that out ! haha
Old 03-07-2003, 01:33 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah the max i spend was about $480 for rc car and parts.
Didn't had to any any fees or anything.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:47 AM
Tech Champion

ive had many orders over $1000.00 via EMS never paid any duties or tax.... so far

orders have been from US, HK, Jap, and Tas LOL.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:06 AM
Tech Regular

I'm about to get a FT TC3 and lots and lots of stuff like batteries and a charger plus motors and electronics. So would you all recommend staying under the $500 mark?. If so, if i ordered it in two pakages 1 after the other( first ones gets here, order the rest) would is still be counted as under $500 or would they add them both up?. Also what if i order the stuff to a friend in US and get him to repakage it as a gift to me? I dont think gifts are taxed

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated
Old 03-07-2003, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

if you can get the shop to package it like a gift and have them write "gift" on it you're sweet.

that's what they did for me when i order my mtx3 with a whole collection of gears, spurs, springs etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.