Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
South East Queensland - Interclub Competition >

South East Queensland - Interclub Competition

South East Queensland - Interclub Competition

Old 12-31-2006, 12:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Glj

To be perfectly Honest Trusty I am also going to go back to racing Gas Tourers and the Tg would seem to be the best option as it is easy to get hold of and easy to fit. I was never much good at Pro Tourers and really liked the gas class because it was easier to drive and the Tg engine would be the best replacement for the now unavailable Cvr and hard to get Novarossi.

Graham
Old 12-31-2006, 01:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

don't race out to get a os tg which is .8hp and still you can get BETTER MOTOR which have more torque.

OS are not the only motors out . there are a few other brands of motors. don't forgot to order all your different conical header which equal $60 plus you will have to find out which one preforms best for your motor and driving style and can't forgot the big part which pipe will you need to compete.

which means the cheap pipes will not get the most out of your engine meaning they have just taken the first step to being a pro tourer.

if you want easy run RTR.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

O.S.motors are the only motors to fit straight into mtx2, Mtx3, Mtx 4, V1 r, Virr, V1rrr all Serpents, Gv,s Hpi Pro,s, without any conversion at all, they are .7 Hp. and as you are getting older or are new to the sport these slower motors are a good option and are great to race, this class has always been made up of A,B,and C class which has allowed for entry level and a more experienced driver. Any motor will perform differently depending on the kind of exhaust and header, and were can you get these other motors as cheaply as $165.00 Aust. like from Rc Mushroom or Tower Hobbies.

Graham
Old 12-31-2006, 01:59 AM
Tech Regular

i have a header for my hpi pro star which allow me to run the motor with out any mods done to the car , to drop it in and the car is MTX2 soon to be a mtx 3 we also had v1rr EVO and it was the same as the mtx 2.

the header is a novarossi. this means do research in the the cars and motors i did.

i did not cut any put of the car to fit the motor in the car and there is different types of motors that fit straight in there is no need for the rear motors.

the tg is 159.99 US "$203 AUS " that is towers price and approx $30 shipping.

and if they do allow the rear motor the tg will not be compitive. as it is only .7hp and currently there is no factory paper work only what towerhobbies says.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hello Keeper ,
I think I know the header you mean and have seen it in an mtx 3 but the rear bulkhead still had to be cut to fit it in. But I may be wrong and if so what kind of Novarossi header and where can I get one it would certainly make it a lot easier to run the Novarossi 1.05 Hp.which your right would be more competitive. But more expensive Tower Hobbies price is $135.00 with a discount and Mushrooms price is 125.00 which would be about $172.00 Aust .including freight. I have also converted these cars since the V1R, Mtx3 which included syntax adaption (invented by Peter Giblin on cvx motors ) Shaft extensions, chassis cutting , bulk head cutting down front diff calibration with super heavy oils and rear diff with light oils for rubber tyres, and it took a lot of mucking around and as you will probably agree what I am getting at is to make it simple as you have found with your research it can be simplified with the right parts. But these can somtimes be hard to obtain. This Tg motor would be a good all round motor for novices and Pros, maybe not the fastest but worth consideration and no where near Pro Tourer speed,. All I am saying is lets allow all motors up to 1.05 Hp irrespective of exhaust configaration, I just happen to be a lover of O.S. engines

Graham
Old 12-31-2006, 02:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by The_Keeper
i have a header for my hpi pro star which allow me to run the motor with out any mods done to the car , to drop it in and the car is MTX2 soon to be a mtx 3 we also had v1rr EVO and it was the same as the mtx 2.

the header is a novarossi. this means do research in the the cars and motors i did.

i did not cut any put of the car to fit the motor in the car and there is different types of motors that fit straight in there is no need for the rear motors.

the tg is 159.99 US "$203 AUS " that is towers price and approx $30 shipping.

and if they do allow the rear motor the tg will not be compitive. as it is only .7hp and currently there is no factory paper work only what towerhobbies says.
The vast majority of headers do not fit into a MTX3 with the rear swaybar still attached, I know I have tried. There is no header that will fit into a MTX4 with rear swaybar attached except perhaps a custom unit, again I own one and have measured it with an actual side exhaust motor mounted in the chassis. No amount of "research" will change that fact. I dont think the fact that you can get a side exhaust into a car that is two models and 5+ years old makes a good case for the 2007 ruleset.

MTX2 and V1RR were radically different cars that were designed for side and rear exhaust motors. Try getting one into a MTX4 and then post the pics I will be very interested in how your research goes.

I saw a TG running the other night and it will be VERY competitive. I actually saw it on the track racing against me, not guessing based on pictures or information on a website. Oh yeah it DOES come with factory paperwork as well.

You can buy the TG locally for $270 or so.

Last edited by AMGRacer; 12-31-2006 at 03:14 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by graham1234
Hello Keeper ,
I think I know the header you mean and have seen it in an mtx 3 but the rear bulkhead still had to be cut to fit it in. But I may be wrong and if so what kind of Novarossi header and where can I get one it would certainly make it a lot easier to run the Novarossi 1.05 Hp.which your right would be more competitive. But more expensive Tower Hobbies price is $135.00 with a discount and Mushrooms price is 125.00 which would be about $172.00 Aust .including freight. I have also converted these cars since the V1R, Mtx3 which included syntax adaption (invented by Peter Giblin on cvx motors ) Shaft extensions, chassis cutting , bulk head cutting down front diff calibration with super heavy oils and rear diff with light oils for rubber tyres, and it took a lot of mucking around and as you will probably agree what I am getting at is to make it simple as you have found with your research it can be simplified with the right parts. But these can somtimes be hard to obtain. This Tg motor would be a good all round motor for novices and Pros, maybe not the fastest but worth consideration and no where near Pro Tourer speed,. All I am saying is lets allow all motors up to 1.05 Hp irrespective of exhaust configaration, I just happen to be a lover of O.S. engines

Graham
The Keeper is talking about a MTX2, a far different vehicle as anybody who has had one knows. There is 11mm between the exhaust port and the rear bulkhead in a MTX4, making a header almost impossible to make.

I think you make a lot of sense with your suggestions Graham. BTW the TG is FAST I have seen it with my own eyes. Give Mick Sherman at Mr Toys Mt Gravatt a call he was driving it into 1st place and he beat me by around 1/4 a lap last weekend with it.

The case and backplate look like my TZ and so does the carb. Its a slightly different cooling head. The internals appear very "agricultural" compared to the more flashy novarossi and even TZ parts.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Amg
Micheal Sherman is a great driver and would know what a good engine is, more so than myself as I am only assuming this would be a great motor based on previous experience with O.S. motors. And your right V1r and rr's would fit a side exhaust straight in, I had forgotton that fact. Mtx 2's I have never converted and I hope to not have to convert any other cars.

Graham
Old 12-31-2006, 03:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I always thought that the gas tourer class was the entry point for most people into nitro onroad racing. If rear exhaust engines are allowed then the average Joe/Joette that wants to start racing will walk into their local hobby shop and ask what they need to be competitive and the answer will be:

Chassis $600 - $750 MTX4 V1rrr etc
Motor $200 - $300
Batt, Fuel etc $50
Starter Box and Batt $150
Radio $200+
Servos $200 2xaverage digital servos

Total: $1400+

Thats enough to scare everybody out of the hobby. If you keep the class so that cars like the FW05, VoneS, RTR NTC3, HPI Nitro's etc are competitive it makes the class more accessable to newbs and consequently bring in more entries and money for the clubs.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:30 AM
Tech Regular

so you are saying the tg is faster than your pro tourer . that proves my point the tg is under rated in power or your pro tourer is over rated.

ps if that happened at brendale you would called a CHEAT.

KILL THE REAR IN GAS tourer OR YOU WILL OPEN IT TO CHEATING.

Mtx3 which included syntax adaption (invented by Peter Giblin on cvx motors )
this was not invented by him it is a HPI addon and there is another brand that i cant think of.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bigtez
I always thought that the gas tourer class was the entry point for most people into nitro onroad racing. If rear exhaust engines are allowed then the average Joe/Joette that wants to start racing will walk into their local hobby shop and ask what they need to be competitive and the answer will be:

Chassis $600 - $750 MTX4 V1rrr etc
Motor $200 - $300
Batt, Fuel etc $50
Starter Box and Batt $150
Radio $200+
Servos $200 2xaverage digital servos

Total: $1400+

Thats enough to scare everybody out of the hobby. If you keep the class so that cars like the FW05, VoneS, RTR NTC3, HPI Nitro's etc are competitive it makes the class more accessable to newbs and consequently bring in more entries and money for the clubs.
Agreed. But on the flip side some RTR cars are hideous handling beasts that are not at all competitive, and this also frustrates people out of the sport. RTR cars are not the only answer for a beginners class, but they are an entry point.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by The_Keeper
so you are saying the tg is faster than your pro tourer . that proves my point the tg is under rated in power or your pro tourer is over rated.

ps if that happened at brendale you would called a CHEAT.

KILL THE REAR IN GAS tourer OR YOU WILL OPEN IT TO CHEATING.

Mtx3 which included syntax adaption (invented by Peter Giblin on cvx motors )
this was not invented by him it is a HPI addon and there is another brand that i cant think of.
I dont follow the majority of your post so I wont reply to it except to say that the TG was in a MTX4 and driven by Mick Sherman who is an awesome driver. The track was very slippery and the extra power from my open motor was not usable on the surface. This is a key point that many seem to forget in the hype of open vs tourer motors. Open cars and tourers driven by good drivers are equally as fast in the corners now they both use foams.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
Agreed. But on the flip side some RTR cars are hideous handling beasts that are not at all competitive, and this also frustrates people out of the sport. RTR cars are not the only answer for a beginners class, but they are an entry point.
Is it the cars that frustrate them out or the fact that they have to compete with protype chassis. I know when I first started racing gas tourers about 3yrs ago there would be around 30entries most race nights (at brendale) and I only remember 3 or 4 who ran MTX4's and the like.

I do agree that there is no way some of the RTR cars will ever be competitive but that is where the hobby shops should be informing their customers when they go to buy those RTR cars.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Open cars and tourers driven by good drivers are equally as fast in the corners now they both use foams.
Thats why I think we should bring back rubber tyres.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:52 AM
Tech Regular

I dont follow the majority of your post so I wont reply to it except to say that the TG was in a MTX4 and driven by Mick Sherman who is an awesome driver. The track was very slippery and the extra power from my open motor was not usable on the surface. This is a key point that many seem to forget in the hype of open vs tourer motors. Open cars and tourers driven by good drivers are equally as fast in the corners now they both use foams.

and this is the same thing that happened to me a brendale and i was branded a cheat by everyone there only because i was a better driver than anyone else there. due to the amount of practice i have put in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.