Wiki Posts
Search

Shopping online overseas - WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 01:34 AM
Tech Adept

Default Shopping online overseas - WOW!

Hi Guys,

Some of you may have seen me "raving" on about ordering a stack of items from Japan but really I need to give these guy's a huge rap because there service is amazing!!

I Placed an order for (7) items at 11:00am in the morning, by 4pm in the afternoon I have an EMS Tracking number with a dispatch notice that my items are leaving Japan tonight for Australia!!

For the 7 items I bought I paid $125.00 AU + Shipping of $26.00 for EMS ( Upto 5 day Delivery) from Japan! (WOW - Compared to the US) - And I really have to admit that there pricing was literally HALF THE COST OF AUSSIE HOBBYSHOPS!

TAM53333 TA03R TUNED SPRING SET

RadioModels - Australia - $19.75
RainBowTen - Japan - $10.12 AU

Just an example - It wouldent be worth doing for 1 or 2 items but if your looking at spending a few hundred or even thousand on some RC gear, certain check out these guys and do the maths.

So far I've worked out that even with shipping included I've came out about $106 infront then buying from Aus.

This might be all old new to most of you, but I was very excited and wanted to share with others

You can find them on the web at - www.rainbowten.co.jp

Thanks for letting me release my new discovery

Cheers,

Josh.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:47 AM
Tech Adept

good to see your supporting your lhs....
Old 01-15-2003, 02:55 AM
Tech Adept

Well maybe I'd be a little more supportive if:

1) They werent making 150% Margin on an item that costs them buckleys.

2) They held the stock instore and I didnt need to wait weeks/months to get it.

I mean, I've been to Hobbyco several times and asked for Parts, and they say "Sorry, well have to order it in" then inform me it will take "6 weeks" for a popular M03 Tamiya Part, then try and charge me some stupid amount of money for something that I can buy from overseas for half price, and recieve it within 5 days.

You add it up... I'm in for a bargain, not a raw deal that leaves me peniless.

Josh.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:29 AM
Tech Champion

i have spent over 63,000yen+ (900AUS+) at RainbowTen in the past month, all the latest and greatest stuff. 1/3rd the cost, at my door in 5 days!

if i can buy it local i do, providing the cost is reasonable. i'm on the verge of buying a 3PK Radio... any here in Aus Shops???? i don't think so...

Last edited by black-knight; 01-15-2003 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:31 AM
Tech Adept

Yay! - Another Rainbow Fan

Sweeeeeet!!!
Old 01-15-2003, 04:10 AM
Tech Regular

Here here...good to see some logic from you guys on the OS order thing.

Support is a two way street.

I'm all for supporting the LHS but when its outright extorsion and lengthy delays....no thanks
Old 01-15-2003, 04:11 AM
Tech Regular

well that's great if you want to but tamiya stuff... but ordering another brand of kit elsewhere online from overseas is comparable, as long as you look for the bargains. No one shop is always the cheapest.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by sleek the elite
well that's great if you want to but tamiya stuff... but ordering another brand of kit elsewhere online from overseas is comparable, as long as you look for the bargains. No one shop is always the cheapest.
well they (rainbowten) also sell HPI / Yokomo / Barracuda / Kyosho / KO / Futaba etc etc
Old 01-15-2003, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I got quoted between $700 - $800 for a V-one RR w/Lola here in Oz, emailed one company in HK and got it for $498 deliveredVIA EMS in 5 days (would have been 4 but i missed the courier )

That gives me a reason to buy OS. But dont get me wrong, i still support the LHS's when i need parts but if i order big, to the Net i go.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:16 AM
Tech Regular

I think you are mistaken about 150% markups, most "hobby" shops are working on MUCH less nett profit than many other types of retail outlets. (toy shops shit me)
Some of the local distributors of hobby products make it very difficult to be competitive with o/s internet companies, and even in Aus. places like Radio Models sell online MUCH cheaper than they can afford to sell products to local customers...
It is not great business sense to keep thousands of dollars worth of parts for cars that were bought overseas or from backyard dealers ,when six months later a new model makes these parts obsolete.(on your own with Barracuda etc,)
How do I know these things? Because I own a hobby shop...

ps I also buy some things from o/s
Old 01-15-2003, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Qlder
Some of the local distributors of hobby products make it very difficult to be competitive with o/s internet companies, and even in Aus. places like Radio Models sell online MUCH cheaper than they can afford to sell products to local customers...
You got it in one. I would support my LHS much more if I could, but I get stuff at 1/3 to 1/2 price, the best/latest stuff, and 3 days shipping.

This thing which blows my mind is how I can buy stuff overseas at retail prices with expensive EMS shipping and STILL come in cheaper than the ozzy wholesalers COST PRICES. Yes I get stuff cheaper than these guys wholesale prices, I know quite a few guys in the industry who tell me the wholesale prices. So to my mind the LHS is NOT THE PROBLEM. They need to make money. The wholesalers are the guys who are screwing us over here.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:16 PM
Tech Adept

So true.

I'd love to support my LHS if they could offer the same type of service. I'm astounded how Hobbyco can say "6 weeks" for a popular part, when it can be ordered for Overseas in days. - Then again, maybe they have policies and procedures, however they are loosing Business because of this.

(Not to mention Hobbyco's lack of service)

The Aussie situation isn't good when comparing to overseas pricing and freight charges.

Josh
Old 01-15-2003, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

I bet you the LHS owner doesn't buy his milk from the milkman or Bread from the corner store.

Coxy.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:22 PM
AC
Tech Regular

I too dont usualy buy things from Australia, only small items like suspension arms, brushes etc.
Part availability isnt an issue for me (xray), but the cost is, since Im only 14.. LOL.
I usualy buy my stuff from Hong Kong for around 1/2 the price. My Evo2 cost me AUS $470 from Hong Kong, and in Australia its what? $830? Pft.
Shipping was a measly $50 or so, EMS, arriving the NEXT DAY, and the TT fee was $30.. stupid Westpac.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

true, most people goto woolsworth or franklins etc.. the big and cheaper shops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.