R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 14
Default Aussie XXX-T owners who've changed their motors..

hey all,
ive just got myself a XXX-T with the novak 15turner ESC and trinity 19T motor but wouldnt mind something with a bit more poke..
Ive searched various threads/forums etc and the general consensus is to go with a P2PK (?) or a cobalt monster stock pro .. but after speaking to the LHS they dont think il notice much of a speed difference with either of those so what can you guys recommend?

Im after something that accelerates faster, has a faster top end and generally just roosts everywhere.. im not a racer just a basher and my GF has said she'll buy me a novak brushless setup at the end of the year so i need somethign to tide me over until then hehe..

would it be worth getting a new ESC and putting something lower than a 15T in it, or is there a decent motor out there for me???

cheers and apologies for my noobness, havent played with leccy RC for about 14 years haha
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:26 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic
 
Bit_Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 765
Default

Hey.

The "trinity" 19 turn that comes with the RTR... well... isnt great, and isnt really a tinity motor. Just a label. However, i'd probably agree that its performance is on par with a 27T stock... i doubt it would last as long as a stock tho... mine died after about 4 packs.

For a good boost in power with acceptable runtimes and acceptable comm wear... go for a good 19t spec motor. Gearing around 20/21 should be pretty good...

Should tide you over....

PS. Does your GF have a brushless buying sister?
Bit_Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Tech Adept
 
MadMikeB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 187
Default

I agree, a racing-level 19T motor will leave your kit motor in the dust. There are plenty to choose from. One of the quickest I've seen at our club (in a tourer) is a Trinity Komodo, but there are plenty of others too. I have a Kisbey 19T outlaw which is also excellent (provided you aren't racing).

I think you'll get a very pleasant surprise.

Mike
MadMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
Tech Master
 
tony2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 1,510
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

if your not racing it, just buy a 16 turn motor, its always good to goa little higher that of what the speedy can handle, buy a decent quality one and it will have heaps of go, cheaper than a spec 19t to!
__________________
Anthony Campbell

Ryper Hobbies l AKA | AE
tony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 14
Default

hey guys,

thanks for the replies and advice..
is the komodo for touring cars only, or does it not really matter?? if so then il head for a kisbey, maybe a 16T if they make them??

where could i get either of these, none of the perth shops have any listed apart from some 12T and lower kisbeys - can you guys recommend an eastern states shop at all??

cheers
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
Bit_Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 765
Default

Komodo would be a fine choice for a truck. I've got my eye on the EA tuned version from harris RC.... That's by no means a cheap motor tho But in the end you get what you pay for...

Try email/calling model flight here in SA. They dont have much on their website but a mate of mine got a reedy quad mag 19t at a great price from those guys.
Bit_Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
mangoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,981
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Does www.radiomodels.com.au have anything in stock????? (they are in perth)

I dont know much about motors but getting a good 19T could be better than getting a no name cheap 16T motor though. Some of the cheap motors are well.... umm..... CHEAP!!!!

Also dont know about the decent motors (like the kisbeys) but www.harrisrc.com should sell good quality modified motors. He's a highly regarded australian seller (dedicated to selling stuff for rc racers, ie not a hobby shop). If you are just bashing around though some of his stuff may be a little excessive **SHRUG**
__________________
Hot Bodies Cyclone!!!
www.smaracing.org
www.rchobbies.com.au - www.feralbatteries.com.au
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
mangoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,981
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

DoH! HarrisRc already mentioned :P

I'm still asleep here, i think i better go back to sleep!!!!
__________________
Hot Bodies Cyclone!!!
www.smaracing.org
www.rchobbies.com.au - www.feralbatteries.com.au
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #9
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_Rusty
Komodo would be a fine choice for a truck. I've got my eye on the EA tuned version from harris RC.... That's by no means a cheap motor tho But in the end you get what you pay for...

Try email/calling model flight here in SA. They dont have much on their website but a mate of mine got a reedy quad mag 19t at a great price from those guys.
hey mate is this the komodo you were talking about ;

http://www.harrisrc.com/pictures/kd19.jpg

halfway down 4th motor down after DC tuned atlas;
http://www.harrisrc.com/shop.htm

would this motor show a pretty big increase over the stock 19T trinity???

also i noticed you had a link to the fordmods site??? what ford have you got?? ive got a black fpv typhoon and love it !

cheers
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:41 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic
 
Bit_Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nang3
hey mate is this the komodo you were talking about ;

http://www.harrisrc.com/pictures/kd19.jpg

halfway down 4th motor down after DC tuned atlas;
http://www.harrisrc.com/shop.htm

would this motor show a pretty big increase over the stock 19T trinity???

also i noticed you had a link to the fordmods site??? what ford have you got?? ive got a black fpv typhoon and love it !

cheers
Hey.

Yes they were the motors ive been eyeing off... havent heard a lot about the DC but the komodo is apparentley a strong motor... so with the tuning that EA provides it should go hard. As mentioned earlier tho - for a basher, probably a little on the excessive side.

Either way - they'll leave that trinity for dead. The "nervous breakdown" motors are quite weak, id put it in the same level of performance as a Traxxas Stinger or a Duratrax Photon Speed - general RTR level performance....

Yeah im one of the moderators over on fordmods.com. I have a 5.0L V8 EF. For the last 18 months or so, i've been driving it around with a powerdyne supercharger Lots of fun!!!!! Unfortunately ive been defected (too low) and the car has to pass a full inspection So the supercharger is gone.

Black typhoon. Nice taste in cars mate. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the lack of boost on my car!!!
Bit_Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:40 AM   #11
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_Rusty
Hey.

Yes they were the motors ive been eyeing off... havent heard a lot about the DC but the komodo is apparentley a strong motor... so with the tuning that EA provides it should go hard. As mentioned earlier tho - for a basher, probably a little on the excessive side.

Either way - they'll leave that trinity for dead. The "nervous breakdown" motors are quite weak, id put it in the same level of performance as a Traxxas Stinger or a Duratrax Photon Speed - general RTR level performance....

Yeah im one of the moderators over on fordmods.com. I have a 5.0L V8 EF. For the last 18 months or so, i've been driving it around with a powerdyne supercharger Lots of fun!!!!! Unfortunately ive been defected (too low) and the car has to pass a full inspection So the supercharger is gone.

Black typhoon. Nice taste in cars mate. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the lack of boost on my car!!!
hehe well if you reckon the komodo will be excessive for bashing then it sounds like a go-er hahaha.. i'd rather have a bit too much power than not quite enough.. and ~$75 is not much really.. spend that on fuel in a weekend nowadays haha.. do you think the stock gearing will be OK with it???

Im surprised at how well the 19T trinity actually goes for a stocker, considering my last experience was electric RC was a Hornet when they 1st came out hehe.. i had a savage a few years back but thats it for RC..

haha mate that must be hard, going from blown V8 to NA !!!!
spewing about the defect, esp having to rip the blower out .. mines stock as a rock at the moment, only defectable thing is the tint but they dont really bother with that over here unless you fail the 'attitude test' hehe..
what sort of numbers was the powerdyne giving you??
im thinking of getting some mods done soon, especialling since its tax time just about woohoo !! I'll prolly go for an EDIT with custom tune, 4" dump and cat and injectors and hopefully get ~280-300rwkw or so..

cheers
Ross
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic
 
Bit_Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nang3
hehe well if you reckon the komodo will be excessive for bashing then it sounds like a go-er hahaha.. i'd rather have a bit too much power than not quite enough.. and ~$75 is not much really.. spend that on fuel in a weekend nowadays haha.. do you think the stock gearing will be OK with it???
Yeah start out with the stock gearing (21t pinion??) - it should be pretty close to the mark. Then adjust for the area you run it and for motor temp. Too nice a motor to toast up!

Quote:
haha mate that must be hard, going from blown V8 to NA !!!!
spewing about the defect, esp having to rip the blower out .. mines stock as a rock at the moment, only defectable thing is the tint but they dont really bother with that over here unless you fail the 'attitude test' hehe..
what sort of numbers was the powerdyne giving you??
im thinking of getting some mods done soon, especialling since its tax time just about woohoo !! I'll prolly go for an EDIT with custom tune, 4" dump and cat and injectors and hopefully get ~280-300rwkw or so..

cheers
Ross
Yeah has been tough going to NA but it's nice not having to fill up with 98 octane... and its nice not going through 20L/100km!!! The powerdyne was bolted onto a compeltely stock engine - the heads and intake manafolds are abolsute shyte on the e-series falcon V8. But still managed to get 170rwkw out of it... wasnt massive horsepower but it made almost 600nM of torque so it was very nice to drive.

14sec flat quarter mile... 10 year old falcon used to give the Gen3 boys a bit of a suprise

Edit should release a huge amount from the F6. lol 300rwkw is massive power, hope your tyre budget is up to scratch??
Bit_Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #13
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_Rusty
Yeah start out with the stock gearing (21t pinion??) - it should be pretty close to the mark. Then adjust for the area you run it and for motor temp. Too nice a motor to toast up!



Yeah has been tough going to NA but it's nice not having to fill up with 98 octane... and its nice not going through 20L/100km!!! The powerdyne was bolted onto a compeltely stock engine - the heads and intake manafolds are abolsute shyte on the e-series falcon V8. But still managed to get 170rwkw out of it... wasnt massive horsepower but it made almost 600nM of torque so it was very nice to drive.

14sec flat quarter mile... 10 year old falcon used to give the Gen3 boys a bit of a suprise

Edit should release a huge amount from the F6. lol 300rwkw is massive power, hope your tyre budget is up to scratch??
well im going to order a komodo today hopefully it will be here early next week and the fun can begin! ive got a few packs of intellect 3600's to run with it so should go all right for a while...

hehe yeh 98 is a bitch, esp when half the places around here dont even have normal pulp 95 so theres no chance of 98..
600nm is a nice fat slab of torque hey, would have pulled well in any gear haha..
yeh 300rwkw is pretty huge and totally not needed - phoon will spin in any gear when it hits boost in the wet, makes overtaking on the freeway @ 100kph 'interesting' sometimes haha.. but most of the other guys with similar mods are getting those sort of numbers and its pretty good bang for your buck as well, $2000-2500 should do it.. as for tyres luckily my mate owns an Ian diffen up the road so wont be too bad, speeding fines on the other hand

cheers to everyone else for the tips on motors etc.. im sure il be posting a thread in a few weeks/months asking about faster motors than the komodo etc hahaha..
in fact, without going to brushless or under 15T, are there any other motors a lot faster than the komodo??
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:15 AM   #14
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 14
Default got the komodo

well i got the komodo today and put it in this arvo along with some new slightly larger dirt hawg tyres and a 17tooth pinion and daaaaaaaaaaamn what a difference !!

The motor has a fair bit more punch in all of the rpm range - the roosts it was throwing were a good 3-4m long as opposed to 1-2 hehe.. a bit of that would have been the tyres too so im going to swap them and the pinion back to stock tomozza and give it another go..

all in all im stoked with the improvement, thanks Scott (harrisRc) and all you guys for the advice etc..
its got all the power i need at the moment, but once i find a friggen decent track around perth to practise at i'll wanna upgrade again hehe
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aussie Owners of 3PK Darkman Australian Racing 108 10-19-2003 08:09 PM
Aussie MTX3 Owners... Darkman Australian Racing 313 08-20-2003 05:43 PM
Aussie Vone RR Owners VoneRkid Australian Racing 7 05-17-2003 10:58 PM
Aussie JR R-1 Owners!!! Darkman Australian Racing 0 04-27-2003 04:54 AM
Aussie Corally Owners... black-knight Australian Racing 25 03-30-2003 02:19 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:04 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net