Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Smile Brushless ??

I am thinking to go to brushless, So I am chasing some feedback on what system (motor & speedie) to be looking at buying.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you want lots of speed or more practice time then they are great. Either LRP or Novak systems seem to be good, just research before you buy as some are quick and some ain't.

The Winterchamps next month should be a good display of what they can do.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Tech Master

Thats exactly why I am seeking peoples opinions or preferences. .
Old 05-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm presently running a Hacker BL system with a 6 Turn motor.
The things an absolute weapon, but it's sensorless, so therefore it's not race legal. However, I'm not sure where to buy these new as I got mine 2nd hand. Not to mention i think they're close to $700 or something huge when bought new.

Can't recommend these enough. If you're just looking to go fast, Brushless is the way!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Thumbs up

OZ Racer,

Are you looking to use this in your 2wd or 4wd?
The LRP/Nosram looked awsome at the Nats.
Laughton won 4wd with the LRP.

They also have different motors: 1star,2star,3star etc.......
Novak motors are interchangable and vice versa, so I believe
Old 05-12-2006, 01:33 AM
Tech Regular

I ran my new brushless Novak 5.5 last week-end for the first time, let me tell you it was fun (no pulling the motor apart) just charge and go. I am also going to buy the 4.5 motor, i think which ever one you end-up buying you'll enjoy it more than brush motors.
cheers
Old 05-12-2006, 01:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Although i've only run Novak, i can certainly vouch for their ease of use and effectiveness.

I used to own a ss5800 which was fantastic. Smooth, lots of power and it never gave me any troubles at all. I only pulled it apart before i sold it to make sure things were fine, and it was spotless...

Then i moved up to a GTB with 5.5R when it first came out and my system is still running strong. Fantastic power equal to 9t brushed.. super smooth and no maintenance. It lets you just drive. No replacing springs, brushes, aligning things, resoldering things etc. etc..

Good run-time, no maintenance, plenty of power. What more cna you ask for?

(Now for the bads...

The clear Novak fan breaks easily - stones, fingers, sticks etc will snap blades off. Buy a few more incase of failure, or get some much more fans to replace with..

The unit WILL thermal is incorrectly geared. Not a fault of the system, but do be aware.

The motor likes to be kept cool. 99% of thermals are due to the motor overheating. For maximum performance, aim a fan at the motor for better speed and consistency.

The system WILL overheat if the fans go dud. Has happened to me on a few occasions, just due to fan failure. Mainly track debris. But as soon as you put a fan on it (Like it was designed ...) it goes back to being fantastic!

Get the idea? - the fan is weak. Get one now so you don't spend time not running..

Lastly - all this is long term stuff. DOn't worry about teh fan breaking on it's own. It just won't happen. Mainly it stupid butter fingers from reaching under the shell, or small sticks/wire getting in there!!

)

All in all.. i'd recommend it 100% (If i had another car, it would be another Novak in there. No questions asked... it's just so damn easy to run!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:21 AM
Tech Regular

I spoken to few local guys who run novak GTB's and they have had the same problem with the fan being weak, so i got a couple of much more fans just in case it happens to me.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've been running the novak gtb/4.5 for a couple of months now. heaps of power, very driveable, 100% reliable to date, no maintenance. I can't imagine going back to brushed motors. I've run on small, medium and large tracks and had competitive horsepower. Run time is now no issue.

I've personally not had the unit thermal or had any fan related issues - but the Much More fan is a straight bolt on replacement to move a higher volume of air if required.

Go for it.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Guy's,

It seems a lot of you are running onroad, does anyone have experience with OFFROAD?
I ran the SS5800 for a while. Heaps of torque, good top end, no maintainance.
Also had a few months running a KontroniK, brutal power, nominal drivability, very very fast though, no maintainance. Virtually undrivable in 2wd, 4wd was better....
Old 05-12-2006, 04:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

personally I've only run onroad - though I would dearly love to strap the 4.5 into a 4wd buggy....
Old 05-12-2006, 05:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My hacker is running in an offroader. It's a Duratrax Evader ST (the super flexible plastic version) so I'm pumping all the power of the 6 turn BL through the two rear wheels.
I love it. I never want to run anything else. Not too difficult to control, and good runtimes.
I just need to gear it down just slightly to remove a touch of heat off it, even though I've never had it shit down from getting too hot, without running any fans or anything.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

"Guy's,

It seems a lot of you are running onroad, does anyone have experience with OFFROAD?
I ran the SS5800 for a while. Heaps of torque, good top end, no maintainance.
Also had a few months running a KontroniK, brutal power, nominal drivability, very very fast though, no maintainance. Virtually undrivable in 2wd, 4wd was better...."

We have been running the LRP competition in 2wd and 4wd for a couple of months now and they are sensational. Fast, smooth and with excellent set up options. My brushed motors and hudy lathe have been long sold...

The systems give you so much power and flexibility. 3 star in XXX-4 is awesome. So much so that everyone is following at our club in sydney and going brushless... the future has definately arrived.

We will have them in action at maitland in warm up for the matiland cup this weekend!
Old 05-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Novak say the ss-4300 is just a bit faster than a 19t. From tower hobbies it's worth about $270 delivered into Australia.
Thats the package with speedy and motor, now thats cheap
Old 05-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Talking Thinking

I have been looking at some of the motors available and just have to decide what turn we go for if I decide to venture down the brushless track. Go for kill with 4.5/6.5/ 7.5 or out to about 11 turn motor. Imagine a 4.5 turn on dirt, yes!!!!

Last edited by OZracer; 05-13-2006 at 07:47 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.