R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing

Old 05-26-2006, 06:22 PM   #16
Tech Rookie

Firestang you hit the nail on the head!!! we have noticed the lack of Big events like this one, which is why we're doin it. As for the price it will include a bbq lunch for competitors, cant let ya all go hungry
Crazy Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:06 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Firestang,

It's cost effective to make an 18 episode program on CH 31.
There is a $35 registration fee, plus the cost of any consumables (tapes etc).
All the cameras/editing equipment are provided.

Büszke Knox/Wodonga tag.

Knox Bluegroove. OG since 2014...
The Fuhrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:51 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ideas Man
If you have to pay a large amount to be at a venue or an event (funny no one has tried to host a Race with the F1 in Melbourne)
Sorry IDM, Maybe you are full of ideas and not facts.
Been there done that.

FIRST EVER F1 GP in Melbourne, (1996?) MRCCR (Lilydale) put on a 4 day show.
John Harnden (heard of him) provided all entry fees etc and paid us, this paid for a mini bus to ferry drivers to the event. Drivers all got entry to the event for free.

Had a great time, had a great location, plenty of spectators.

Had one member join directly due to the event.
Left the club 12 months later.

We also did events at Sandown ( 2 * Sandown 500's, 1 round Supercars)
and have even less (0) members gained by the promotion.

Maybe we needed an 'ideas man'

Dave Calwell
OZDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:00 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZDC
Sorry IDM, Maybe you are full of ideas and not facts.
Been there done that.

FIRST EVER F1 GP in Melbourne, (1996?) MRCCR (Lilydale) put on a 4 day show.
John Harnden (heard of him) provided all entry fees etc and paid us, this paid for a mini bus to ferry drivers to the event. Drivers all got entry to the event for free.

Had a great time, had a great location, plenty of spectators.

Had one member join directly due to the event.
Left the club 12 months later.

We also did events at Sandown ( 2 * Sandown 500's, 1 round Supercars)
and have even less (0) members gained by the promotion.

Maybe we needed an 'ideas man'

Dave Calwell
Hey Dave havn't seen you for a while, are you going to the Worlds in Queensland?

Just in reply to your post, as I stated above, when I held the event at North Sydney, I asked Margo from Wings and Things if she had any reply from our event, seeing that The Stores Name was Promoted no end to the crowd, and I don't remember exactly but they made about 10 or 15 sales in direct response to that event, not one sale ever came racing, and the sales were not only off road but half a dozen on road. The shop had a benefit from the event, but the racing community gained no extra members, the only benefit was that a couple of guys got to race in front of a massive crowd.

It's just like the club scene, for every ten drivers that start to race, nine end up giving it away within a couple of months. It's always been like that.

Maybe these idea men should concentrate on getting a massive crowd to an event held at club tracks, unfortunately that's the difficult part, once your able to attract an audience to attend a specific track, rather than bring the track to the audience, then clubs and the racing fraternity will benefit. But when you need to bring a track to an audience attending another event, then you are only a sideshow.

We had the World Championship for Eigth Scale at Moorebank, promoted it on Radio and The Papers, even had segments on TV as well as a small feature on ABC, the result of gaining extra members or racers, nil.

A good way to guage the public interest of RC Racing is the sales of Racing lines, or better still how many Newsagancies Stock the magazine, only the ones that get asked specifically from actual racers.

So in summary the point I'm making is that any event not held on a club track, does not benefit the club, unless the club is actually holding the event, and nor does it benefit the RC Enthusiast, only in so far that he gets to play somewhere else. So any event not held by a club is a motive for making profit for the orginisor, unless the RC Driver is invited to race and is not imposed with any cost for showing his trate.
zd8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:01 AM   #20
BG
Tech Addict

Yes too true OZDC, lots of effort for little reward.
BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:54 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To be successful, one must fill a need or a niche.

In my opinion the need is there for an eighth scale off-road & monster truck track close to Melbourne; Calder Park would be ideal in terms of noise and proximity, but the demand is mostly there for casual access 7 days a week, for people who want to muck around with their mates, not to race competitively.

Witness those who go to Kroma for Suicide Saturday.

But hey, build it and see who comes!
Low Voltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:10 AM   #22
Tech Rookie

Quote:
So in summary the point I'm making is that any event not held on a club track, does not benefit the club, unless the club is actually holding the event, and nor does it benefit the RC Enthusiast, only in so far that he gets to play somewhere else. So any event not held by a club is a motive for making profit for the orginisor, unless the RC Driver is invited to race and is not imposed with any cost for showing his trate.
Just shows how much you know about us.... nothing.
We are running this event and i can tell you right now were forking out of our own pockets to try and make an awesome enjoyable event for all. There is no profit to be made.. Its people like you that put a downer on people like us that try and make a difference, no wonder 9 out of 10 leave, when this is the welcome they get. look If people dont believe us so be it, but im willing to show every receipt to prove it. I hope to see a lot of you there so you can see just for yourselves...
Old 05-30-2006, 10:13 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dean
Just shows how much you know about us.... nothing.
We are running this event and i can tell you right now were forking out of our own pockets to try and make an awesome enjoyable event for all. There is no profit to be made.. Its people like you that put a downer on people like us that try and make a difference, no wonder 9 out of 10 leave, when this is the welcome they get. look If people dont believe us so be it, but im willing to show every receipt to prove it. I hope to see a lot of you there so you can see just for yourselves...

So Crazy Dean, what your saying is that your " forking out of our own pockets to try and make an awesome enjoyable event for all " which means that the drivers need not pay anything, but only turn up and race?
Old 05-31-2006, 06:05 AM   #24
Tech Rookie

You really think 4 guys can afford $3500-$4500???? No.. What im saying is that we are not trying to make a profit on this, we have already started the planning and it is already costing us money. So there will be an extremely low entry fee for drivers which will include entry into any of the events we run on the day. The drivers can also enter multiple events if they wish.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:35 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dean
You really think 4 guys can afford $3500-$4500???? No.. What im saying is that we are not trying to make a profit on this, we have already started the planning and it is already costing us money. So there will be an extremely low entry fee for drivers which will include entry into any of the events we run on the day. The drivers can also enter multiple events if they wish.
Why do you need to pay $4,000.00 ?
Old 05-31-2006, 06:58 AM   #26
Tech Rookie

We have to hire Calder Park, Build the track, Build a racers stand, Pay insurance(public liability), Hire timing equipment, Hire drag racing equipment(starters tree, sensors, speed trap, etc..) Then Pay for the entry form to be printed....
Old 05-31-2006, 06:59 AM   #27
Tech Rookie

Oh and pay for enough food for the competitors.... BBQ
Old 05-31-2006, 04:18 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Burlap

As has been posted by others, RC is only considered as a hobby. To make it really popular you need PR guys, and that is a ton of money. Most of the RC Committess in Australia are voluntary, so no one is being paid to be a part of it, nor are they getting flooded with sponsorship dollars. Australia is just too small of a market for most RC companies to be interested in.

However the local RC club I race at, Boronia, pulls around 60+ drivers on the Wednesday night for racing. If you can somehow tap into that and increase the interest, you might get somewhere.
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:21 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I think it is a little short sighted to try and measure the success of a promotion effort by the number of members you gained from it over the next 12 months. Its more about planting the seed. When I was a little kid I used to always watch the children’s television show “The Early Bird Show”. They had a segment on the show which featured radio control car racing. After seeing that I always wanted to do it. It wasn’t until many moons later (probably more than ten years worth of moons) at the ripe old age of 19 I decided to get a car and start racing. This all came from the promotional efforts of more than ten years ago.

My point being I think this type of promotion does work if done well.

Andrew Abbott.
Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:39 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The other side of the deal is if you get lots of spectators to your meeting they usally buy lunch and drinks from you club, hence extra money into the club.
Also joe average that dosnt have enough money to buy a car but wants to be involved in the club, we have guys that turn up each meet to marshall, cook barbie help with setting up and dont race. How else are we going to promote this hobby/sport to average joe punter other than normal race meets
if this type of promoting dosnt happen ??????
D REAL NO FEAR is offline   Reply With Quote