Wiki Posts
Search

Clubs racing format

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Clubs racing format

Sunshine coast club are currently reviewing the race day format and we are interested in what other clubs use. We run fortnightly and currently run 3 qualifying rounds and a single final for electrics and nitro. We have 2 championships a year, a summer and a winter series with separate trophys for each and an endurance sheild for total laps added from the qualifying rounds from every race day going to a total at the end of the series for the winner in each class. Currently every race day is a points round with the ability to drop 1 round in each season.
Tell us what your clubs run. Maybe we have the best setup already or maybe your club does or we could mix it all up to find a more workable solution.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I often wonder why we have 3 qualifying rounds and a single final. I'd rather have 3 quals and 2 finals if time permits, or 2 quals and 2 finals if time doesn't allow the extra round. I much prefer racing to qualifying!
Old 05-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Where I race (Ryper in Perth) we run 2 qualifiers and 3 finals, with the best two counting.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

The problem i find with racing 1 final if you are taken out for whatever reason the day is blowen. This doesnt seem very fair to me. This doesnt include nitro that already get longer finals anyways.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:01 AM
Tech Regular

We run the same setup (3 quals 1 final 15min A main for Nitro) I think that if you're not going to run 1 final run 3. Then atleast you can get a definate winner. If i scored 1st then 2nd and somebody else scored 2nd then 1st in a 2 final setup who wins?? It's not really fair to count back to qualifing position.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:23 AM
Tech Adept

I was thinking more along the lines of adding laps and times together of the best two results dropping the single worst result. A tie would be broken by the result of the 3rd round and, if still a tie go back to qualifying position. This is how the Hobby Direct/Racing Lines international is run in Auckland NZ.,
And or, running 1 qualiying round where the singles fastest lap by each competitor gives the final postions and starting finals 2 & 3 where you finish. Although full scale get several goes at qualiying its taken from their single fastest lap time. I agree with scott_g in as much that 1 final just doesnt seem right.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

We're trying something different to the normal qualifiers and finals at our Winter Championships in July were going to run 6 X 5 minute races, with the best 4 results going towards our placing in you class.
We set the grids for the first race, then the next 2 you start in you previous race finishing position, regrade after round three, Race four start in your new position race 5 and 6 in your finishing position from the prevoius heat.
Points are awarded in each race for your finishing position in class, 1 for first 2 for 2nd and so on to what ever number is in the class, lowest number of points wins, ties broken by your next best race.
This makes every race important, but you can have 2 bad runs and still win you class.
With a club race meet depending on time you could have 4 races and count 3, depending on numbers regrade after 2 round if you need to.
If you bomb out in 1 race usually the final the other three count.
I'm going to try it on a Saturday night before then with one of the Electric classes to see how it goes.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Tech Adept

John, I saw that on the thread for that meet and was interested how it would go. Post here please after you try it out with the result and competitors thoughts. Feel free to PM me
Old 05-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Tech Regular

We run 5 x 6min races at BDR with your best three races counted. Last year we had 3 x 6 min qualifiers and 2 x 6 min finals. I preferred last years method for the simple reason being that at the end of the day at least you know where you finished, with the best three of five races format it's too much effort to work it out.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Tech Adept

We have an issue with some members not wanting the day any longer than the 4 races we already have. We are finished at 2.30 most race days so i cant see an issue running 1 more round, usually at the moment 6 heats but as the club grows thay are worried we may go to long.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Tech Adept

Come on people out there, what format does your club run on race days. There are a lot of clubs out there and your reply is valued.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:52 AM
Tech Addict

3 Qualifiers - 5min - (start where you finished- random 1st round)
1 Final - 5min - grid positions worked out from qualifiers
Old 05-09-2006, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

At our track (nitro) we run 4 qualifiers and a 10min A main in all classes (200mm, 1/8th and pullstart 200mm). We have now added electric racing and they run the same number of qualifiers and a single main. We have 4 'cup' days a year and there is an overall champion from the round days and an overall chamion-of-champions from the cup days.

We are looking to try a race next year where it is like a V8 supercar format (the format not the bodies). We'll have qualifying using the practice software, which will grade the field in each class.

Then there will be a top 10 shootout for the fastest 10 in each class. Then it will be a case of a 20min race. A reverse grid of the results of that race. And then a 45 min race in the aggregate order from the first 2 races. This is just for something different.

While I was typing this I got to thinking that you could do something similar for regular club days where the aggregate of your times throughout the day determine which final you land in, similar to what I saw at the offroad nats last year.

I guess a lot of clubs run the qualifiers and then a single final for nitro as that is the standard. On cup days we run a christmas tree final where the top 4 are in the main and then the odd and even semi finals determine the next six.

Anyhow, just throwing in my 2 cents worth.

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Rossco
3 Qualifiers - 5min - (start where you finished- random 1st round)
1 Final - 5min - grid positions worked out from qualifiers

ARE final grid positions based on best single Qualifiers or combined best.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

In Adelaide we usually run 3 qualifiers and 3 finals. Its good because you get heaps of racing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.