Wiki Posts
Search

Trueing Rubber Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Trueing Rubber Tyres

Does anybody do this, It occured to me when I ran a Mini I have.
I put a new set of treaded tyres on the car and after a couple of runs the wear patter was extreemly patchy so there was obviously high & low points on the tyre. It looked OK to the naked eye (it looked round) before the run.

If I had a camera you would see the wear, tread depth in as much as a millometer different in sections.

If the tyre is spinning arround and there are high & low points (ie the tyre is not true) it would be lifting off the road for a split second, threfore it would be loosing grip, no amount of suspension adjustment would be able to stop this lifting as the tyre rotates.

Can you true a rubber touring car tyre and how?
I have not seen anything on any of the threads about this.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Are you running stock mini tyres? they are stuffed afer a couple packs.

Have you taken into thought the tyres balloning even if only slightly it must be enough to wear certain patches
Old 03-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I just rotate my tyres every run, so hopefully they get even wear. I have heard of sanding tyres when they are new to get rid of the centre line.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I dont think a mini goes fast enough or handles well enough to begin with anyway to worry about an improvement from truing the tires
Old 03-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm fastest in mini at my local track by a lap or two.. the mini is standard (except ESC).. standard silver can, standard friction shocks, everything standard.

my secret...

bald kit mini tyres on back, and half decent kit or super grips on front.

mini's understeer, badly. with bald rears i can get the mini to 'drift' into each corner and maintain some momentum around the track.. it really is rather funny to watch, but it kills the other 'more hopped up' mini's on the track...

pretty funny stuff

the tyres in the kit dont last long, at all.. as mentioned a few packs, max...
Old 03-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorry guys I didn't mean for the mini I am talking about touring car tyres (slicks) they would not be perfectly true, I was just using the mini for the example because it has treaded tyres. It is difficult to see the wear patterns in slicks.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you mount the rubber tires and they are not sitting flush on the rim there is nothing you can do about it, the tire when used will attempt to wear itself true, and will eventually wear the high spot down to the canvas, even iff the rest of the tire still has plenty of tread left.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:54 AM
Tech Addict

I get uneven tyre wear when I run ****** poxy Yokomo rims!They inevitably crack after a hit and develop a high spot during the race.
Sounds interesting when cornering,hearing the broken spot clicking on the upper ballcups!
Old 04-01-2006, 04:47 AM
Tech Adept

Default The answer to your question is YES

To answer your question I would have to say yes I have found running my sorex tyres accross my eagle tyre lathe has helped to get quite a few more runs out of tyres that looked ready for the bin. Basically I am too lazy to rotate my tyres during club meets, so they often have different wear rates on each corner at the end of a raceday. Before I use them again I give each tyre a light skim on the tyre lathe to even them back out again, them with the lathe free spinning I run some WD40 soaked wet & dry fine grade sandpaper accross them to both polish and condition the tyre surface. So far this process has restored most of my tires back to race ready status, generally giving me an extra 2/3 race meets out of a set. Hope this info helps.

Cheers
Jace