Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
New to RC - Curious about Mini Class Racing. >

New to RC - Curious about Mini Class Racing.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to RC - Curious about Mini Class Racing.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Thats it, i am selling all my stuff and buying a Mini. I drove a friends minin one night the hill and loved it. Dorr to door racing is what we all want. At the Tamiya worlds this was the closest racing and seeing them lifting front wheels of the ground in a corner was a sight to see. Also the New Mini body looks Horn!!!

And as for you Mr Besercoe about the servo and the crab walker. We will see who knocks you out of the A Final at the summer Nats.

Coxy.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

How to get the arms parallel? Easy.....

I use the Tamiya 'Super-Mini' (it's a size not a description, and these are the shortest ones that Tamiya make but they are REALLY hard to find now) oil shocks on my cars but it also works with 'Mini' size ones.

You need to use the time honoured method of putting an appropriate sized piece of silcon fuel tubing INSIDE the shocker on the shaft, so that its underneath the piston and effectively shortens the shaft length. For the life of me I cant remember the exact measurement because I havent done it for a while now, but it's easy to do.

Not quite sure how you'd do it with friction shocks though, although you should be able to use some variation of this technique.

Jobs done. If you can find them, the Super Mini shocks are a little better as it retains the full length of up travel still. But to be honest, most people (me included) cant tell the bloody difference!

And Josh, a Frewer Mini shell will only cost you about $28 retail. They're cheap and tougher than the original Tamiya ones.

TG
Old 12-05-2002, 11:43 PM
Tech Addict

thanks tony ill give it a go right now
Old 12-05-2002, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

Dave it isn't necessary to go to that extent on your car, you should be able to attain the same results with your up and down stops. The silicon tube trick was used years ago when less adjustment was available on cars.

The bottom arms being parralell to the ground depends on a number of things, and really unless you can adjust the rear positioning of the pins, you can't really do it on your car, but there is a way, come and see me tomorew, but don't start pulling shocks apart, you'll waste your time on your car.

AG
Old 12-05-2002, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Uh uh... such things dont work on a mini. There aint too much in the way of adjustments like that to utilise. Minis are very basic. That's why we had to use the old methods to get it to work...
Old 12-05-2002, 11:57 PM
Tech Regular

I know you havn't those adjustments on the mini, my point to Dave is it won't work on his car, although it may have an effect on minis.

AG
Old 12-05-2002, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Ahh..I assumed he WAS talking about doing it to a Mini since it was on this Mini thread!
Old 12-06-2002, 02:36 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

Well said Tony.
We ran super Cooper(Tamiya mini) last night, from a month ago we were getting only 3 true mini's to a meeting. Last night we were up to 8 true mini's and growing the formate seems to be very strong. We are about a month and half out from the next pointscore and we could end up with at less two heat of the mighty mini by the beginning of it. It's starting to look like the good old days again!!!!
I'm glad the drivers of Castle Hill put up the proposal to implement the changes to the rules for the next pointscore to bring back the fun back into the sport and I think mini is the way to go.
We can look at the MO3L later on maybe after the first pointscore for 2003 and see what happens and how the drivers feel after we have one pointscore under our belts, but it is up to the drivers to make the changes.
Old 12-06-2002, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

Hi TJ.

Exciting to hear! - I'm hoping to have my Mini up and running within the next few weeks, and it look's as though a close friend of mine would be interested in starting in the Castlehill Mini Class aswell.

Hope to be down at the track in the next few weeks! Very exciting to hear the class is growing

Cheers,

Josh.
Old 12-06-2002, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

mini's are going to take over the world!

tust me dave has a mini as well as the serpent, my guess is he uses more sophisticated techniques to achieve car setup on the serpent!
Old 12-06-2002, 04:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by contact
mini's are going to take over the world!

tust me dave has a mini as well as the serpent, my guess is he uses more sophisticated techniques to achieve car setup on the serpent!
Yes i was talking about my mini
My Serpent set up is awesome
it just needs better driver

Old 12-06-2002, 04:43 PM
Tech Addict

Think ill have to make the trip too castle hill with the mini too whens the next meet and whats the rules??
Old 12-07-2002, 10:18 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

I'm sorry to say that the next mini meeting will be on the first meeting back after the New Years Break on 10th January 2003. We have our last meeting of the year next Friday but the mighty mini's will not be racing. Hope to see at the track soon.

Trevor Johnstone
Old 12-08-2002, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Mini's rule the world, and getting bigger!
Old 12-08-2002, 05:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by TJ
I'm sorry to say that the next mini meeting will be on the first meeting back after the New Years Break on 10th January 2003. We have our last meeting of the year next Friday but the mighty mini's will not be racing. Hope to see at the track soon.

Trevor Johnstone
ill come up for sure ...looking forward too it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.