Search
Like Tree1Likes

Boral Coat on concrete?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Boral Coat on concrete?

Looking at options for a home on road track, I "think" I recall a track on the East Coast that was concrete coated with some type of coating. Again, I vaguely remember the brand being Boral Coat?

Can anyone add any info/details to my early onset Auld Timers recollection?
Old 06-04-2018, 01:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You are correct.
Pretty much all the on road electric tracks in Sydney are Boral coat. It's an OHS no slip paint on surface.

There is also another Liquid Road I think it's name is. It's like a re seal for an Asphalt road. The council used it on my street earlier in the year.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

This is what IMCC use on the Track.
Cheers............
Old 06-04-2018, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Does the concrete need to be super smooth or does a bit of texture help traction after the coating goes on?
Old 06-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The smoother the concrete the flatter the track is. The boral product has an abrasive texture. Kind of like sandpaper. This is what gives it grip.

I am guessing your concrete has a swept finish to it (like what a foot path is like) The product will fill gaps to some extent but I feel is better if the concrete is smooth.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz
The smoother the concrete the flatter the track is. The boral product has an abrasive texture. Kind of like sandpaper. This is what gives it grip.

I am guessing your concrete has a swept finish to it (like what a foot path is like) The product will fill gaps to some extent but I feel is better if the concrete is smooth.
How the coating is applied can affect the grip level. The Castle Hill track has a grain in the concrete. The grip was higher when they didn't apply the coating with the sweep in the same direction as the grain. For 12th scale this made a difference. Maybe someone from Castle Hill could describe the exact application method they used, my memory is that a swirling motion was adopted prior to the NSW State Championships hosted there – which provided good results.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

You are building a home track for RC on road? Wow dream do come true for some 😂😂
Old 06-05-2018, 12:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCMADMAN
You are building a home track for RC on road? Wow dream do come true for some 😂😂
Well, I've still got to build it yet but knowing I can use cement with boral coat rather than $$$ of asphalt makes it a lot closer to action.
RCMADMAN likes this.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:18 AM
Tech Elite

Also, does anyone know how to deal with expansion joints between the concrete sections? Do you even need them? I'm assuming you do as it is similar in sizing to footpaths/driveways...?
Old 06-05-2018, 02:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Dan the Man
Also, does anyone know how to deal with expansion joints between the concrete sections? Do you even need them? I'm assuming you do as it is similar in sizing to footpaths/driveways...?

Stickaflex (not sure on spelling) works well to fill in in gaps, smooth out, let settle, then roll coating over, use paint rollers for best result when applying coating to your track , thicker the coat greater the grip( remember easier to add more than take away) cooler the temp of the day, better the product will spread out.
Cheers.......................
Old 06-05-2018, 04:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TIGER RC
Stickaflex (not sure on spelling) works well to fill in in gaps, smooth out, let settle, then roll coating over, use paint rollers for best result when applying coating to your track , thicker the coat greater the grip( remember easier to add more than take away) cooler the temp of the day, better the product will spread out.
Cheers.......................
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. If anyone else has any relevant tips I'd be grateful to hear them
Old 06-17-2018, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Another question. Has anyone been involved in laying down a concrete track, and could they advise what thickness they poured the track to?
Old 07-04-2018, 11:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

how well does this last on high use surfaces.. IE trucks, forklifts etc will it easily get ripped up with the screwing of tyres on it?
Old 07-08-2018, 03:26 AM
Tech Regular

We at Newcastle onroad apply the Boral topcoat over the top of painted asphalt every 18 months on average. I wouldn't call it high traffic compared to the weight of a forklift but it has to be fairly durable as they spray it on roads.

We have used several methods from rollers to brooms to apply. Rollers leave a more ripple affect where broom gives you a more brushed effect. When the coat wears and you begin to see the painted surface underneath grip level starts to drop off, so the top coat does its job.

Be careful if you apply on a hot day as it tends to cure pretty quickly and can tend to drag and clump if you are not careful.

Cheers

AB
Old 05-25-2019, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Bit of a bump for some advice on track design.

I'm in the design and costing phase of this journey. Obviously the bigger the track the bigger the cost, and the longer it will take to save my pennies to get it underway. My questions is, what's a good size for a track? I was thinking basketball court size, which is about 30mx20m would be a sweet spot, but has anyone raced on a smaller one that was still a challenge and fun, rather than being a seven second lap centrifuge? Also, what's a good lane width? The minimum according to RCRA is 3m, does anyone think that's too wide for a home track?

Cheers for any and all advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.