Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events
AOC ROUND 2 - JUNE 19-21 HOBBY HABIT ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA - PRESENTED BY SCOTTY ERNST >

AOC ROUND 2 - JUNE 19-21 HOBBY HABIT ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA - PRESENTED BY SCOTTY ERNST

AOC ROUND 2 - JUNE 19-21 HOBBY HABIT ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA - PRESENTED BY SCOTTY ERNST

Old 04-13-2015, 03:50 AM
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Is there a preference as to what controlled tires F1 should be on?

We are helping Scotty source them, so do we prefer Ride or Pit Shimitzu?

Cheers
Nathan
Old 04-13-2015, 05:13 AM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NR

Is there anyone who runs F1 regularly at the track? If the grip is ok, then the Rides aren't a bad option as far as control tyres go.

If you go the Pit Shimitzu path, then you probably need to mandate a combo out of the 57X series (sometimes referred to as "104 size"). The 54X series are smaller diameter and don't find all front ends.

Most, but not all, F1 chassis use the same size rear hex - I think the FGX is one of the odd ones out, so also need to consider that some entrants need different rims for the rear (the Rides do have that option).

I'm not fussed either way, as long as the chosen combo is driveable. For example, if you were running at the Castle Hill track in Winter, I don't think anyone would even contemplate the Rides, but at the AOC two years ago, they were fab.

Phil.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by PDR
Is there anyone who runs F1 regularly at the track? If the grip is ok, then the Rides aren't a bad option as far as control tyres go.

If you go the Pit Shimitzu path, then you probably need to mandate a combo out of the 57X series (sometimes referred to as "104 size"). The 54X series are smaller diameter and don't find all front ends.

Most, but not all, F1 chassis use the same size rear hex - I think the FGX is one of the odd ones out, so also need to consider that some entrants need different rims for the rear (the Rides do have that option).

I'm not fussed either way, as long as the chosen combo is driveable. For example, if you were running at the Castle Hill track in Winter, I don't think anyone would even contemplate the Rides, but at the AOC two years ago, they were fab.

Phil.
Everyone that runs F1 at Hobby Habit uses Pit Shimitzu softs front and rear on F103 rims. I run the TRF101W so I cannot use the Rides anyway. This is the problem with a control tyre in F1, all cars are not the same. I would suggest that we run open rubber tyre,

Cheers Rich Groncki
Old 04-13-2015, 05:59 AM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gronk_62
Everyone that runs F1 at Hobby Habit uses Pit Shimitzu softs front and rear on F103 rims. I run the TRF101W so I cannot use the Rides anyway. This is the problem with a control tyre in F1, all cars are not the same. I would suggest that we run open rubber tyre,

Cheers Rich Groncki
I've never had a look at the front end of the TRF101W - why don't the Rides fit?

Phil.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by PDR
I've never had a look at the front end of the TRF101W - why don't the Rides fit?

Phil.
Hi Phil,

I have never used the Rides, but I am assuming that they can only be mounted on F104 wheels (as opposed to F103 wheels). The TRF101W is basically an F104 with a modern F103 front end, which means that the geometry is designed for F103 wheels. I have just fit a set of F104 wheels to confirm. The offsets are such that the front track is about 15mm larger than the rear which looks stupid and probably wouldnt handle all that well. There is also a problem getting the front ride height correct with the larger diameter F104 wheels - I guess I could probably pack the underside of the wishbones with spacers, but again, not a great solution.

Cheers Rich
Old 04-13-2015, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ride or Solaris for the control tyre.

It's not worth going if there isn't a control tyre for F1. It takes the guess work out of it and I don't have to bring a bucket load of tyres to try.

Flame away.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Just to interject.... That configuration (103 front end, with ride 104 offsets) is exactly how I ran my f1 at TITC in 2012, and AOC in 2013... And both events, it was faster that way than with a 104 front end. So don't be too quick to dismiss.

Personally, control tyres for F1 are a must. It's a fun class after all, and the last thing it needs is for people to be worrying about if they have the right tyres, especially if travelling interstate.
And straight up the rides are the best option. Namely as they actually have markings on so they can be identified, unlike the shimizus. They probably won't work as well as the shimizus, but so what, it's the same for everyone.

Last edited by TryHard; 04-13-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:33 PM
NR
Tech Master

It's quiet evident that the majority feel we should go with controlled.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Nathan
Old 04-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

On a grippy track there is no reason why the ride R1's with some tire warmers and goop wont work, If everyone is on the same tire then it shouldn't be an issue if they are 0.5 seconds slower then shimizu's. The whole wide v's narrow front end is a mute point. Just stick with the R1's....
Old 04-14-2015, 01:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NR

Cheers
Nathan
Rides or Solaris. Travelling interstate with a heap off tires and gear for two classes wont be fun.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by brendon
Rides or Solaris. Travelling interstate with a heap off tires and gear for two classes wont be fun.
F1 and 12th?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:35 PM
NR
Tech Master

With Solaris being an event sponsor, we are in the process of sorting out controlled F1 tires with them.

Can anyone please verify what combination they like or have had experience with? Preferably from Adelaide?

We will organise for some tires to be sent out ASAP to be tested.

Cheers
Nathan
Old 04-15-2015, 01:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Tyre rules

Hey guys just a few question regarding touring car tyres....

Are we allowed to use what ever cleaner we would like to use to clean the tyres?

What will the controlled traction additive be or when will we find out?

Cheers
Old 04-15-2015, 01:51 AM
NR
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Daniel Kies
Hey guys just a few question regarding touring car tyres....

Are we allowed to use what ever cleaner we would like to use to clean the tyres?

What will the controlled traction additive be or when will we find out?

Cheers
Hi Daniel,

Additive and cleaner will be confirmed this week.

As for cleaner it will most likely need to be brake cleaner (aerosol can) as to ensure people aren't using different additives as a cleaning agent.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Tech Regular

Its closer then you think,lets start to see entries coming in,all you Hobby Habit runners,Little Hampton runners,its a Top class event,it only comes around once a year,and its indoors,not problems with rain washing out the event.
Cya Scott

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.