Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events
Castle Hill Vintage Enduro 13 & 14 June 2015 EP10 Offroad >

Castle Hill Vintage Enduro 13 & 14 June 2015 EP10 Offroad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Castle Hill Vintage Enduro 13 & 14 June 2015 EP10 Offroad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Castle Hill Vintage Enduro 13 & 14 June 2015 EP10 Offroad

Hi Everyone!! The Castle Hill committee is proud to announce the Castle Hill Vintage Enduros for 2015 will be run on the weekend of 13th and 14th of June 2015

There’s been a good amount of talk about the format and we’ve listened to feedback / ideas from a bunch of people through the surveys so here’s how it will work.

Saturday we’ll have test / tune session in the morning and a 3 hour Blitzer enduro will start at 1230pm

Sunday will feature a 5 hour – 3 or 4 driver enduro which will start at 10am.

Fast Facts
Saturday 3 Hour Blitzer Enduro 3 or 4 drivers
Allowed chassis: Stadium Blitzer, Stadium Thunder and Blitzer beetle
9am-12pm: test / tune all vintage cars (sport tuned and 540s only)
1200pm: Blitzer enduro qualifying session (10 minutes)
1230pm: 3 hour Blitzer enduro starts
Motor Tamiya Sport tuned part no 53068 (team to supply own) must use 13 tooth pinion (recommend buy a steel pinion to replace standard Tamiya)
Batteries: 6000mah 2s lipo max (hard case)
1 minute minimum pit stop time every time the car comes to the pits
Blitzers must be stock. You can run any electronics in the car, tyres are open (however they must be run on Blitzer rims) Springs / oils are open too and bearings are allowed. You can use any of the Blitzer bodies on your chassis, I’ve been asked about the beetle body given its an ABS body (heavy), Lexan beetle bodies such as the scorcher body made by TBG will be allowed

Sunday: 5 hour - 3 or 4 Driver / multi car enduro
Motor: Johnson 540 motor for all cars (must be bought from the club or motors from the 2014 festival can be used)
Open practice til 930am (enduro cars only)
930am: qualifying session (10 minutes)
10am: 5 hour enduro race starts
Batteries: 6000mah 2s lipo max (hard case)
1 minute minimum pit stop time every time the car comes to the pits

Entry Fee : $30 per driver for the whole weekend of racing!!! If you’re in a team of 3 drivers, that’s at least 2 hours 40 mins of track time over the 2 enduros for just $30!!

Qualifying, there will be a 10 minute session run for each enduro, fastest lap counts. Fastest lap gets first pick of marshalling position but it’s a reverse grid, so the fastest qualifying team will start last on the grid and so on

5 Hour Enduro

Teams: Teams will be made up of 3 or 4 drivers. In the 5 hour enduro you can run 1 to 4 cars (max 3 cars if 3 drivers) this means that you can share cars among drivers if you wish or all drive your own cars. Drivers must be nominated to a particular car and cannot jump across to drive a different car, for example, a team of 4 drivers with 3 cars, one car will be nominated for 2 drivers, in that way the car will be counted twice for the calculation for the salary cap and its minimum time requirement will be doubled.

Minimum time: Each driver must complete the minimum time requirement. For a 3 driver team that’s 1hr 20 minutes, 4 driver team is 1 hour minimum. Where a car has been nominated for multiple drivers, the minimum time requirement will be multiplied by the number of drivers assigned to the car

Salary Cap: each team will submit their list of drivers and cars to me via pm. Each team is allocated a 14 point “salary cap” for a 4 driver team (11 points for 3 drivers) which their list of cars must equal or be less than. Each car has been allocated a points value that it brings to the team for example, a yokomo 870c is worth 6 points, if you have 2 yokomos in your team (or share the car among 2 drivers) then you’ve used up 12 points so you only have 2 more points to spend on cars for the team, most of the plastic class cars are 1 point so you’d need 2 of those to fill out your team. Any combination of buggies/trucks is allowed as long as you meet the salary cap requirement. Teams using 1 car only will be allowed to run a car worth 4 points or less

The points that have been allocated to each car have been posted up for comment for and feedback has been taken on them. Those points are now locked in for the year but can change for the following year if more feedback is taken

All vintage and classic legal buggies and trucks are eligible, if your car is not on the attached list, please contact me for a points allocation. When submitting the team list, please let us know of any big upgrades made to the car eg, a gold pan rc10 with a stealth and long arms is classed as a normal rc10 not a purist spec car. All cars must fall within the allowed modifications for the Vintage Festival and all must meet the standard minimum weight limits 2wd=1500, 4wd=1600g and Truck=1700g except for plastic fantastic buggies

Apprentice can claim: this is where a driver can get in touch with me and ask for a leg up, maybe you’re not a local, maybe you’re more of a collector not a racer but you want to be in the enduro, maybe you’re upset that the Bangles still haven’t reformed and you think you might cry on the drivers stand lamenting that fact and it will affect your driving, never fear, help is at hand, ask and you may receive some bonus points (max 2) which will be added to your teams salary cap allowance. Each driver claim can be added to the cap so a team could end up with maximum 22 points to play with.

Non- vintage racer points bonus: teams will earn themselves a bonus point to their salary cap for including a driver in their team that has not competed at a castle hill vintage event in the past 3 years

Track: the long circuit will be used for the enduro, all cars must run over the jumps

Batteries: 2s lipo 6000mah max, hard case

Motor: standard 540 Johnson control motor for all cars in the 5 hour enduro. You can use motors already purchased from the club for the 2014 festival. If you need a motor, please indicate how many are needed when submitting the team, motors are $14 from the club and will be available in the lead up to the meeting or on the morning of the race, as usual, no running in of motors and no comm drops, just dab oil on the bushes and pop it in the car. In the blitzer enduro the Tamiya sport tuned motor is the control motor and each team is to supply their own motor and must use 13 tooth pinion only. Its recommended you buy a steel pinion. 32p pinions are a perfect substitute

Gearing advice: to help those who have not geared a car for an enduro or not dealt with the Johnson 540 motor before, I offer the following starting points for gearing so you are in the ball park. Please remember when testing gearing, you should always check the motor temp at regular intervals (every few minutes) to ensure its not getting too hot, please also take into account your own car when thinking about gearing, my recommendations are for a car with a reasonably efficient gearbox and close to the weight limit, so if you’re running an avante which has a million gears in it and weighs about 3 tonnes, consider dropping the pinion 1 or 2 teeth below my recommendations. Start on the higher end of the FDR and if temps are good, you can try going up on the pinion. 2wd (7.1-7.7) 4wd (7.8-8.6) Truck (8.6-9.2). If anyone needs help turning those numbers into what pinion they should run on their car, please get in touch with me.

I am more than happy to help, my aim is to help everyone be as competitive as possible (or at least feel like there’s no great secret recipe to gearing or other things), so as we get closer to the event, I’ll update people with what tyres are working on the track. Given that there aren’t any plans to change the surface in the next few months, I’d say the same tyres that worked at the festival will work again, so Sweep- Square armours, Proline – Holeshots, AKA – Rebars or if you want a long lasting tyre, proline calibers are a good choice

Pit stops: cars will come in the pit entry to the left of the drivers stand, there will be a table in place if teams want to make a battery change and send the same car back out again. In order to make it fair for teams electing to run 1 car, pit stops will have a minimum time of 1 minute. This means that the car will pull in, as soon as it has entered pit lane, the stop watch will commence, the teams car next to go out will wait at the exit of pit lane until 1 minute has elapsed then will be allowed to leave.

If a car breaks down on the track, it must be brought back into pit lane. The pit stop timer starts once the broken car makes it back to pit lane, the team will still wait the 1 minute pit stop time then release the next car

It will be the teams responsibility to ensure the car does not leave pit lane too early. This will be checked at the end of the race by looking at the lap times, teams falling under the minimum lap time for a pitstop will have 10 seconds added for each second under the minimum lap time. This will also give a benefit to economical driving or if you choose a car that cant be geared very tall, the additional run time will be of benefit

Transponders: all cars must have their own personal transponder for this race, post in the thread if you need one, I’ll have 2 I can lend out for the day, please ensure your receiver has the ability to power a transponder

Marshals: all teams must have a marshal in their designated spot at all times during the race. On each occasion a team does not have a marshal in the designated point, they will incur a 30 second stop-go penalty

Scrutineering: Teams must present all cars for scrutineering prior to qualifying for the race. Each car will be checked for weight, hop ups and motor. As mentioned, we ask that when submitting the team you let us know of any major hop ups to the cars, the points allocated are based on many factors, any changes to the car may need to be reflected in the points allocation.

Judges of fact: we will nominate 4 judges of fact for the race. They will be announced at the drivers meeting. Judges of fact will be able to issue stop go penalties for driving infringements and pit lane infringements such as a car leaving pit lane too early or without the broken down car being returned to pit lane

Hopefully that’s everything, thanks everyone for being patient in waiting for the dates for the event, its very hard to find a time slot. It will be early winter being June but temps aren’t too bad at that time and I don’t imagine people will be bringing cars for an enduro that would be affected badly by the cooler temps making the plastics fragile

Cheers

Mikey
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 03-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Epic post Mikey
One question - " Personal transponder" to be used, so no club transponders then ?
If this is the case what is the best / cheapest brand to get that will work with your timing system ? Any suggestions on a good place to purchase them ?

Thanks mate, getting very keen for this race already
Old 03-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah club transponders have internal batteries and there’s no guarantee how long they’d last so rather than have problems with them dying halfway through peoples stints, a personal transponder solves the problem because its powered by the battery in your car

We use an AMB transponder system. The transponders are sold as mylaps transponders and rc4 version is the latest and is compatible with our setup. The AMB3 transponders also work but they’re a bit older

cheers
Old 03-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Damn Mikey, you are without doubt Lord of the posts! Out of curiousity would the Jconcepts steering bellcranks and "honeycomb" motor mount class as a big upgrade?
Old 03-05-2015, 11:20 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks Mikey, I figured that was the reasoning, just wanted to make sure before I buy one and find out I just miss read the post

Originally Posted by NOFX
Yeah club transponders have internal batteries and there’s no guarantee how long they’d last so rather than have problems with them dying halfway through peoples stints, a personal transponder solves the problem because its powered by the battery in your car

We use an AMB transponder system. The transponders are sold as mylaps transponders and rc4 version is the latest and is compatible with our setup. The AMB3 transponders also work but they’re a bit older

cheers
Old 03-05-2015, 11:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Nice one Mikey, I'm really looking forward to coming up from Melbourne again for this event. Thanks for organising.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Epic! Looking forward to another endurance event. Team Southern Highlands will be looking to hand over the wooden spoon that was hard earned last year at the modern endurance race!

The only question I have is for myself? Egress or RC10? My brain will kill itself thinking about it for 4 months!

BTW - I ran JC Bar Codes (blue) on the RC10 last year in mod. They still look good Used same pair all day.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AussieTopForce
Epic! Looking forward to another endurance event. Team Southern Highlands will be looking to hand over the wooden spoon that was hard earned last year at the modern endurance race!

The only question I have is for myself? Egress or RC10? My brain will kill itself thinking about it for 4 months!

BTW - I ran JC Bar Codes (blue) on the RC10 last year in mod. They still look good Used same pair all day.
Did you run bar codes all round or just on the rear? I have Bar Codes (blue) on the rear and Rips (blue) of my RC10 Worlds rere.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by xrayracer1
Did you run bar codes all round or just on the rear? I have Bar Codes (blue) on the rear and Rips (blue) of my RC10 Worlds rere.
Front and Rear. the fronts hardly look used! If I run the RC10 at the endure, its likely they'll be on the front for another day!
Old 03-06-2015, 03:02 AM
Tech Addict

So what is everyone doing to fit a lipo into a Top Force ?
Neither my square pack or my stick pack will fit in, just don't want to hack up the original mounts if I don't have to
Old 03-06-2015, 04:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cleatus
So what is everyone doing to fit a lipo into a Top Force ?
You have a hammer? MAKE IT FIT!!!!

Alex
Old 03-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stephenianjames
Nice one Mikey, I'm really looking forward to coming up from Melbourne again for this event. Thanks for organising.
Awesome mate! That's commitment! I'm looking forward to seeing you there!

The only question I have is for myself? Egress or RC10? My brain will kill itself thinking about it for 4 months!.
dude, it has to be the egress! !
Old 03-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by I'm_Serious
You have a hammer? MAKE IT FIT!!!!

Alex

Old 03-06-2015, 08:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NOFX

dude, it has to be the egress! !
Yep....maybe? At least the gearing is a no brainer. 23 tooth on the 540, set and forget. Thats all it will take!

Bolt on the Sweep Square armours from the 2014 Festival and its ready to go! (minus the small detail of removing the 8.5T brushless system!)

Serious Q? - Do analogue brushed ESCs work with Digital 2.4ghz radio systems? Otherwise I'm buying a new Tekin Brushed ESC. (RS Pro I think?)
Old 03-06-2015, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Serious Q? - Do analogue brushed ESCs work with Digital 2.4ghz radio systems? Otherwise I'm buying a new Tekin Brushed ESC. (RS Pro I think?)
Well mate you got me curious, so i quickly soldered up a motor to my 11 year old LRP A.I Runner/reverse esc and hooked it up to my new Hitec Lynx 4S radio and it worked!

However that's the oldest esc i own and i'm not too sure about anything older.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.