R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events

Old 01-02-2015, 01:42 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up 2015 NSW F1 Series

Hi Everyone

I will be running the 2015 NSW F1 series

Rules for 2015 will be as per the national rules.

http://rcformula1.com.au/index.php/a...ian-news/rules

Round 1 IMCC Cup on the 18th of January
Round 2 AARCMCC PROTOform ACT Titles 27-29th March 2014
Round 3 NSW State Titles 30th April - Sunday 3rd May
Round 4 Muchmore Masters at SMA May 22 - 24

Future rounds will be confirmed in the coming month as the calendar takes shape.

There is no Entry fee for series registration. Everyone is counted.
It will be your Best 4 rounds over the course of the series.
Tie breaks for the series winner will be decided by who has the more race wins. If there is still a tie then the drivers 5th result will count.

I also wanted to get some competitor feedback on rules and rounds as the series dropped off a little towards the end of last year in terms of numbers.

Rules.

there are 2 rules which I would like to open the discussion on for the possible inclusion in 2016
First is car width.
I would like to know peoples opinion of keeping the class to max width of 190mm with F104 size tyres only, This will bring us in line with most of Europe and US. The downside we would be excluding 3 Racing F113's, Top Rebels and Tamiya F104WGP/F103/TRF101W and these cars would have to use a F104 front end to compete.

Control Tyres would also be an option but a little harder to police,
My thoughts would be Ride R1 pre mounts front and rear plus the addition of Pit-Shimizu PS-0573 fronts and PS-0575 rears, as these 4 tyres would cover almost any conditions, and would negate the need for competitors to carry any further compounds.

The second would be a controlled motor.
While I don't agree with controlled motors as these usually are not the limiting factor in F1's, I still wanted everyone's opinion.

I will also speak to people and gauge some options on these rules throughout the year.

The next discussion topic with is more imminent is rounds to be included.
We had really good numbers at the start of the year but dropped off towards the end. While there were a few factors outside Bob's control that may have contributed, I want to get some feedback on what rounds people want.

With the absence of a club series I am inclined to keep it to already established events, as these were the rounds best attended.

IMCC Cup
ACT Outdoor State Championship
NSW indoors (Castle Hill) Championship
NSW Outdoor State Championship

Depending on where the NSW State's are held we should also have an event as SMA and Whalan.

The other clubs I would also like to include in the series are Orange, as they supported the series in the past with their members attending most rounds, and an event at Riverstone.

For the series this year I will be completing the event reports each round that I will try to get into Racing Lines, as well as get the race video's and photo's up a little quicker then I have this year.

Naming sponsors for the series welcome.....

Send me a PM, or email me at Bethany _ Cullen @ iinet . com . au (remove the spaces) or come see me at a race track near you

Beth.

Last edited by evochick; 03-08-2015 at 05:23 PM. Reason: time clarification.
evochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:38 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A step in the right direction with the rules.
On a side note. Some of those chassis you mentioned are able to run under the 190mm rule with a change to their front end I am led to believe.

As for numbers dropping off. That always happens in rc towards the end of the year.

Might pay to pm Brett Drayton.

I haven't decided on my racing commitments this year but have thought about racing more f1 at non championship meets at the expense of running TC.
I might be in for a couple of rounds.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:50 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evochick View Post
Hi Everyone

It appears the mantle has fallen to me to get this years NSW F1 series up and running, but I wanted to get some competitor feedback on rules and rounds as the series dropped off a little towards the end of last year in terms of numbers.

Rules.

At this stage I think we should keep to the national rule book,

http://rcformula1.com.au/index.php/a...ian-news/rules

But there are 2 rules which I would like to open the discussion on.
First is car width.
I would like to know peoples opinion of keeping the class to max width of 190mm with F104 size tyres only, This will bring us in line with most of Europe and US. The downside we would be excluding 3 Racing F113's, Top Rebels and Tamiya F104WGP/F103/TRF101W

Control Tyres would also be an option but a little harder to police,
My thoughts would be Ride R1 pre mounts front and rear plus the addition of Pit-Shimizu PS-0573 fronts and PS-0575 rears, as these 4 tyres would cover almost any conditions, and would negate the need for competitors to carry any further compounds.

The second would be a controlled motor.
While I don't agree with controlled motors as these usually are not the limiting factor in F1's, I still wanted everyone's opinion.

I will also speak to people and gauge some options on these rules throughout the year.

The next discussion topic with is more imminent is rounds to be included.
We had really good numbers at the start of the year but dropped off towards the end. While there were a few factors outside Bob's control that may have contributed, I want to get some feedback on what rounds people want.

With the absence of a club series I am inclined to keep it to already established events, as these were the rounds best attended.

IMCC Cup
ACT Outdoor State Championship
NSW indoors (Castle Hill) Championship
NSW Outdoor State Championship

Depending on where the NSW State's are held we should also have an event as SMA and Whalan.

The other clubs I would also like to include in the series are Orange, as they supported the series in the past with their members attending most rounds, and an event at Riverstone.

For the series this year I will be completing the event reports each round that I will try to get into Racing Lines, as well as get the race video's and photo's up a little quicker then I have this year.

Naming sponsors for the series welcome.....

Send me a PM, or email me at Bethany _ Cullen @ iinet . com . au (remove the spaces) or come see me at a race track near you

Beth.
Hi Beth,

My 20cents..

I believe that the 190 mm rule should be adopted, seeing how it's used just about everywhere in the world, it's used in Europe & Asia, along with being used in the US, and with all the new F1 cars coming onto the market, they are all engineered to utilise the F104 size tires, such as the new X-Ray, CRC WTF-1 & VBC F1's.
The cars that you have mentioned that would be excluded, including a F113 can be converted to a F104 style front end (which is what I plan to do to mine in the near future).
Another car that comes to mind is the 3 Racing FGX with the independent rear suspension, would this car also still be allowed to compete or not allowed because of the suspension setup on it?

As for control tires, I really don't think it's needed as most F1 drivers already have the brand/compound tires you mentioned as they are the best ones to cater for cool, or warm conditions.

If control motors are to be used, a reliable supply would have to be in place to make sure that everyone that wanted to compete would be able to get a motor to do so, and perhaps have the option of purchasing a 2nd motor if someone's motor releases the magic blue smoke.

Another event that had good F1 numbers last year was the ACT indoor titles, but the downside to that is foam have to be used, and would be very difficult to choose & enforce a control tire.

Hopefully will catch up with you on Sunday to give some more feedback.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #4
Tech Champion

If you are looking for established events to become part of the series then I strongly endorse the NSW vs Qld Challenge at the Tamworth Cup. The Tamworth Track is awesome and would be really well suited to F1. Plus they have the best facility of any EP10 ONR track in the State (covered pit area, lights, toilets, showers, camping on-site, best canteen of any non-commercial venture, etc.). I know they're currently organising this year's event. If you need a contact PM me and I'll provide you with one.

The Newcastle GP is another established event that gets good numbers, and has a top-class facility. I'm not sure if it was part of the F1 Series last year but I'm sure Glenn Sidney would be glad to hear from you if you wanted to include it. Again PM me if you need a contact.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think we don't have enough f1 numbers as is and if you exclude the 200mm cars then you are just loosing more numbers. If you exclude the 200mm cars then go full ride r1 control tire everywhere even tho they don't work in some places but hey then everyone would be in the same boat with tires that don't work...... Just my thoughts.
Xr6 turbo. :)

Last edited by cmy55s; 01-02-2015 at 12:52 PM. Reason: .
cmy55s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think the numbers are there for F1. It's just trying to encourage them to show up and race.
The control motor might be a step to far for now. But the 190 mm rule makes it a level playing field. There are some cars out there that have a huge advantage at the moment due to their wide front end.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #7
Tech Addict

I'm all for the idea of a control tyre.
Beth's idea of having 2 control tyres is a good one. You can look at it like real F1 though.
The compound is chosen for the event, and that's what everyone has to use.
for example, should a round in Orange be held in winter, and it's a typical 5 degrees, we all use the pits, if it's in summer and it's 35, we all use ride.
As much as using just 1 compound tyre all year round sounds good in theory, it's not much fun racing and killing cars with no grip.

Motors should be left open. It is in real F1 after all. They are all same spec, just different manufacturers. So all 21.5 any brand. Blinky ESC, again, just like real F1 with their control ECU.

What about front wing?
Would we go to the U.S. style Tamiya wing only or allow the lexan wing like Europe?

Traction compound?
Open, controlled or none at all?

I wanted badly to do more events last year, but life sort of got in the way. Should be able to commit to a few events this year easily.
bd581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I was planning on racing my f113 so hope you are not serious about excluding it. I know of another 3-4 guys that has just got them.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i just bought a 200mm car and a new motor for it..
It would be a shame if it never got to race the series.. $600 paper weight..
Rules are rules i understand that, just bad timing for me.
t0ddy_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:14 PM   #10
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

F113 is the most common used chassis I think from last year. I do like the controlling the rubbers to take out the guest work.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #11
Tech Master

This is all good discussion everyone keep it up.

Please note that this year I do not see a change to the 200 mm rule, as with the first round only a few weeks away it would be unfair to change any rules at such short notice.

The rule discussion points were more of looking to 2016, but if we don't have any 200mm wide cars turning up to the first few rounds then there is no reason why those that have turned up can make a vote for the rest of the season.. I suppose what I am getting at is turn up and be counted

Is it safe to say people would still like a mix of Championship rounds and non championship rounds ??
I would still like some more input on events people want to and WILL attend for THIS year.....

I am also keeping the points structure the same as last year with the best 4 rounds to count,

Beth.

Last edited by evochick; 01-02-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling
evochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Here's what I'll be doing to my F113

3 Racing new f1 F113

Parts list
3 Racing new f1 F113

Result

Which has the advantage of using the larger bearings in the f104 size front wheels, I'm so over going through those little 5x8 front bearings like candy in the f103 front wheels.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #13
Tech Addict

I wouldn't make any rule changes that would exclude any type of car.
The 2 main focus' to begin with should be about gaining competitors and keeping costs down.
Making people buy new cars will do nothing to promote this
bd581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by evochick View Post
This is all good discussion everyone keep it up.

Please note that this year I do not see a change to the 200 mm rule, as with the first round only a few weeks away it would be unfair to change any rules at such short notice.

The rule discussion points were more of looking to 2016, but if we don't have any 200mm wide cars turning up to the first few rounds then there is no reason why those that have turned up can make a vote for the rest of the season.. I suppose what I am getting at is turn up and be counted

Is it safe to say people would still like a mix of Championship rounds and non championship rounds ??
I would still like some more input on events people want to and WILL attend for THIS year.....

I am also keeping the points structure the same as last ear with the best 4 rounds to count,

Beth.
Allowing 200mm cars for this year is the sensible thing to do, which gives time for the discussion to continue.

Also keeping the best 4 rounds is a good thing, as some people may not be able to attend all events.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #15
Tech Master

Thanks Rob that's great information, and a good parts list.