Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events
ST IVES SHORT COURSE SIX HOUR >

ST IVES SHORT COURSE SIX HOUR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ST IVES SHORT COURSE SIX HOUR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's the results
http://stivesrc.org.au/scenduro/enduro.html

Seems to have stopped putting the lap times on there at 200, can still get an idea of whos pit stops were better.. Replacement 4 displacement seems to have the fastest stops of anyone gaining a lap on Know when to hold em on each stop. There's over an hour of team bigblock pit stops accounted for in the first 200 laps too
Old 05-16-2011, 02:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bugle
Here's the results
http://stivesrc.org.au/scenduro/enduro.html

Seems to have stopped putting the lap times on there at 200, can still get an idea of whos pit stops were better.. Replacement 4 displacement seems to have the fastest stops of anyone gaining a lap on Know when to hold em on each stop. There's over an hour of team bigblock pit stops accounted for in the first 200 laps too

Thanks Thomas..
Lap times show that there is very little difference between 13.5 boosted vs 10.5 zero timing..
The only advantage would be effciency gained by running 13.5 boosted.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Peli
Yep,you guys rammed us..and left yor paint on our truck

Damn it....why didnt Jetlag kick in for the Kiwi!!!!
Smacked soooo hard it turned their body inside out to expose the paint which transferred onto what was left of the SC10 body
Old 05-16-2011, 03:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ithink all that was changed on Rons Gambler was a set of AE shocks and an AE idler gear. Car was strong all night only problem we had was an outer rear hinge pin worked loose early in the race.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:43 AM
Tech Regular

Yep,you guys rammed us..and left yor paint on our truck

Damn it....why didnt Jetlag kick in for the Kiwi!!!!
You have to be awake to get jetlag, I think I was asleep for the last stint, 35mins and the finger control was not doing too well in the cold

At least we made Daz work for the last stint, unfortunately for the first time an RC race actually took a physical toll on my body, and that is what I call a real enduro, fantastic!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Yeah,but how much of them were Venom parts
hahahahah!! Love all these little stabs from others - makes me laugh Every truck/buggy has small issues - no manufacturer is immune to them.

1 idler gear and alloy shock bodies taken from another truck.............hardly a huge list of of parts!

The new idler gears are in development and nearly ready - and the alloy shock bodies are also nearly finished as parts from Venom. We had heard of issues with the idler gear ( I have had no such problems with my truck - has had over 5 hours of use now)- so Mick changed it just to be safe cause we could not get the new prototype ones in in time. We fitted the alloy shock bodies because we also could not get the new venom bodies in time either...we were not sure how the composite bodies would stand up to the temps generated in the shocks over the 6 hours - and with it being pretty cold - we went the alloy body option - ALL the internals and shafts were Venom - if that makes any difference!

So - so far this year - the GAMBLER is 2 wins up at major meets in NSW - the J Concepts and the 6 hour - kinda speaks for itself!!

The Gambler is doing just fine, and there are several very cool features being worked on at this time.

Had a great time at the meeting - and it was good to catch up with alot of you all again..........

Your point on HACKING is a good one Peli, whilst it is all well and good to say "welcome to short course" - there should still be some sort of decorum and fairness to it..........I can give as good/better than I get - but choose not to...........SCOTTY PETTIT gets my award along with Mikey and Shane Edwards for the cleanest racers on the night.

Cheers

Darryn
Old 05-16-2011, 05:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by littlejohn
hahaha... yeah.. we were debating whether or not to let you guys know we didn't need another battery change and try to catch you off guard.
I think at the time Daz was in cruise mode.
The other option was to tell you and hopefully put some pressure on Daz. In the end we opted for trying to put some pressure on Daz to force some mistakes... But unfortunately for us, Daz aka Iceman, kept his cool and just ramped up the pace.

I'm still amazed at how the good drivers were able to hold a line in the evening.
I really really struggled to find the racing line, I was told it was there somewhere and watching others like Seano, Shane, and you guys get around and I remember thinking to myself.. WTF?? how is that possible..lol

Truth be told... I was just glad we finished without incident, as I'd not spent much time prepping the SC-R. A podium finish was a definite bonus.

Btw.. any chance of seeing the full results?
I have got to tell you - I was in cruise mode! However, with under a lap lead, one pit-stop to go and 35 minutes left to run........... I heard you call up to Shane after your last pit stop: "that’s it".........It took a few seconds for me to think about it and then I realised that you buggers were going through to the end So I immediately started trying to work out what I needed to do in my mind - I said to Shane on the stand beside me "are you guys done till the finish" - and in his clever little Kiwi accent said "maybe" - and I knew we were in the "poop" as our battery changes were taking a MINUMUM of 3-4 laps to complete (yes - we are working on a new system for next time) I knew I had to drive the wheels off the Gambler then

We were all driving for consistency through the night, trying to make as clean and as fast a laps as possible - we weren’t really pushing it to it's absolute limit because like any enduro, you don’t want a silly mistake to ruin the night. That strategy not only saves the equipment - but gives better run time and less crashes.

All that went out the window when Harlow called up to me on the stand that we "need 4 laps" on you guys before our final pit-stop to keep the lead!! With all the trucks being less than easy to drive in the cold conditions, I pushed as hard as I dared to over the next 15 minutes. I did manage to get around you guys a few times - but not the full 4 laps we thought we need to give us a little buffer - we had about 3 and 3/4 laps up ...........so there was no small amount of pressure on poor Mick and Tom to perform one of "fast" () less than 4 laps cost pit stops!!

For what seemed like and eternity, I watched Shane calmly put his Kyosho around neatly and consistently 3 times - I then casually mentioned to the boys, (who were feverishly working on the Gambler' s last battery change), "no pressure here boys - but they are coming around to take the lead again this lap"!!

Somehow, they got me out, still in the lead by about the length of the straight. By this stage - I was as buggered as anyone else, my hands were cold, my back was aching and the track seemed allot more difficult to drive. I pushed until I got a lap up - and then just shut down as much as I dared, because anything could happen to the car or equipment.

The cards fell our way (hahahah - that’s a "pun") this time; however any number of teams could have won the event. There will always be breakdowns, hard luck stories - but the old adage rings true: "to finish first - first you have to finish".

Thanks to everyone in attendance for an awesome weekend of racing - I had an absolute ball - and would happily do it all again (but in the summer months!! ) Thanks to all the teams and the St Ives club for making it such a brilliant event for everyone.

Lastly – thanks to my great mates – the “know when to hold em” crew for letting me part of such a great team……damn I love this hobby sometimes – such great people around.

Cheers

Darryn

Last edited by RETRO R/C; 05-16-2011 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Speelinggga ;)
Old 05-16-2011, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah I saw Michael doing a battery change having to use a screwdriver? I did a tyre change and using a nut driver was hard enough with freezing hands, would hate to be doing tiny screws..

The original battery clips in our gambler held up fine for the whole night, Ron had those spreader things to make sure the clips couldn't let go but we forgot to put them on after the 2nd or 3rd battery change and it didn't let go at all.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

LOL - yeah - it was hard work - the battery changes nearly killed us - our worst was 7 LAPS lost time doing a change.......LOLOL God it was a laugh looking back now - so much fun!!, but frustating at the same time - godddd - I want to do it all again!!

Cheers

Darryn
Old 05-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Congrats Darryn!! Good job, what a heck of a race and in the cold weather I totally understand what you guys went through. Good thing I tested the Gambler in the freezing cold winter up here!

The plastic shocks have been really great for us so far and in regional races they have been on winning Gamblers without fail.

For an RTR we are very pleased with how competitive the Gambler has been in its first year out. We are going to actively develop the platform for racing so rest assured we are supporting racing and developing new parts and improvements which are in the works as we speak.

Thanks for the support and we look forward to more podiums in the future!

Chris Nicastro
Old 05-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RETRO R/C
I have got to tell you - I was in cruise mode! However, with under a lap lead, one pit-stop to go and 35 minutes left to run........... I heard you call up to Shane after your last pit stop: "that’s it".........It took a few seconds for me to think about it and then I realised that you buggers were going through to the end So I immediately started trying to work out what I needed to do in my mind - I said to Shane on the stand beside me "are you guys done till the finish" - and in his clever little Kiwi accent said "maybe" - and I knew we were in the "poop" as our battery changes were taking a MINUMUM of 3-4 laps to complete (yes - we are working on a new system for next time) I knew I had to drive the wheels off the Gambler then

We were all driving for consistency through the night, trying to make as clean and as fast a laps as possible - we weren’t really pushing it to it's absolute limit because like any enduro, you don’t want a silly mistake to ruin the night. That strategy not only saves the equipment - but gives better run time and less crashes.

All that went out the window when Harlow called up to me on the stand that we "need 4 laps" on you guys before our final pit-stop to keep the lead!! With all the trucks being less than easy to drive in the cold conditions, I pushed as hard as I dared to over the next 15 minutes. I did manage to get around you guys a few times - but not the full 4 laps we thought we need to give us a little buffer - we had about 3 and 3/4 laps up ...........so there was no small amount of pressure on poor Mick and Tom to perform one of "fast" () less than 4 laps cost pit stops!!

For what seemed like and eternity, I watched Shane calmly put his Kyosho around neatly and consistently 3 times - I then casually mentioned to the boys, (who were feverishly working on the Gambler' s last battery change), "no pressure here boys - but they are coming around to take the lead again this lap"!!

Somehow, they got me out, still in the lead by about the length of the straight. By this stage - I was as buggered as anyone else, my hands were cold, my back was aching and the track seemed allot more difficult to drive. I pushed until I got a lap up - and then just shut down as much as I dared, because anything could happen to the car or equipment.

The cards fell our way (hahahah - that’s a "pun") this time; however any number of teams could have won the event. There will always be breakdowns, hard luck stories - but the old adage rings true: "to finish first - first you have to finish".

Thanks to everyone in attendance for an awesome weekend of racing - I had an absolute ball - and would happily do it all again (but in the summer months!! ) Thanks to all the teams and the St Ives club for making it such a brilliant event for everyone.

Lastly – thanks to my great mates – the “know when to hold em” crew for letting me part of such a great team……damn I love this hobby sometimes – such great people around.

Cheers

Darryn
thanks for clearing up what mods you had on your Gambler.. I didn't think you had done that much to it and was confused as to why people were saying it was heavily modded.
I know mine would have made the distance and with good pace had I not totalled it in a BIG crash at Ryde during the week preceeding.

The final hour of the Enduro became a very strategic race for us. I was crunching numbers in my head around lap times, run time between you guys and us. I knew from about 1.5hrs out that the finisish was going to be close, so driver selection in the last hour was important.
Seano was faster than Shane, but used up a little more juice. Thats why he took the wheel with 1hr left and ran the lipo to cut off, this left Shane with a quite a fair bit or breathing room if he needed to go a bit harder.. but in the end I think the Kiwi was too phycially and mentally exhausted..

Bring on next year... we're already working on new strategies
Old 05-17-2011, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by VENOM REP
Congrats Darryn!! Good job, what a heck of a race and in the cold weather I totally understand what you guys went through. Good thing I tested the Gambler in the freezing cold winter up here!

The plastic shocks have been really great for us so far and in regional races they have been on winning Gamblers without fail.

For an RTR we are very pleased with how competitive the Gambler has been in its first year out. We are going to actively develop the platform for racing so rest assured we are supporting racing and developing new parts and improvements which are in the works as we speak.

Thanks for the support and we look forward to more podiums in the future!

Chris Nicastro
Thanks Chris - it was a real team effort mate.

For the record - we used the Associated alloy shock bodies with Venom internals/components because we thought there could be issues with cold external temps and hot shocks (6 hours continuous compared to 6 minutes - alot of difference - with heat potentiall being generated over that time in the shocks). With most of the drivers in our team being "old school" - we did not have pleasant experience with the cold and composite bodied shock in the 80's and 90's - so we played it safe. Looking forward to getting the Venom ones on the Gambler, as I love the feel of the standard composite bodies and reckon the alloys will be even better.

Always in touch with Andrew and the crew at Venom Aus - and the US - will get a set up sheet to you guys soon - talking with Rick about the set ups etc at the moment.

Cheers

Darryn