Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Alabama Racing
New RC Club and Racing at Barber's in Birmingham? >

New RC Club and Racing at Barber's in Birmingham?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New RC Club and Racing at Barber's in Birmingham?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 04:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New RC Club and Racing at Barber's in Birmingham?

Hey folks…

I wanted to gauge the interest in possibly forming a new RC club in the Birmingham area. Barber's Motorsports Park has indicated they may allow RC racing at their facility, if there is enough interest. Barber's just completed a new facility that could be used for asphalt RC racing.

I can see just about any scale and type of RC car (asphalt) racing there. 1/12 thru 1/4 – gas and electric. Road and oval. Plenty of room for drag racing as well.

While at this point, it's just in discussion – but if there's enough interest… the sky's the limit.

I'd love to hear any thoughts about organizing a new club and track. What do you think would work, regarding the track(s) and types of racing, etc.

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome. Just be civil. It will take a number of folks to make this happen. If you're interested, we'll need you.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Art
Old 11-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I would love to see a track in the Birmingham area for on road touring, right now iv been going to Nashville when I want to race. So having something local would be awesome.

Now are we taking about something like they did at Homestead raceway in Florida?
+ http://youtu.be/H_bmRzD4Wx8" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
http://youtu.be/H_bmRzD4Wx8"> http://youtu.be/H_bmRzD4Wx8" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ http://youtu.be/4jnetzT4ftk" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
http://youtu.be/4jnetzT4ftk"> http://youtu.be/4jnetzT4ftk" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Or will we have to put the track down on race day, and take it up when we are done? As far as classes TC 17.5,U.S. VTA, U.S. GT,F1 and 1/12th 13.5. and if it is outdoors on a nice size track 200x65 1/10 nitro and 1/8 cars.

Last edited by bhambrent; 11-06-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey BhamBrent…

Good to hear from you. Thanks for posting.

Initially, the track(s) would likely have to be put down and taken up. It will depend on the facility's schedule, as to whether the track stays in place or must come up. We'd have to share the asphalt with other activities. While this might not be ideal, it would be a start. I can see where eventually, RC specific facilities could be considered. Barbers will have to see the usage. Also, as we all know, RC is such a clean, fun, safe, friendly and family-oriented form of racing. That will be very attractive to the Park.

I've never raced dirt. Actually, it's been quite a while since I raced on asphalt. But, I'd like to get back into racing. I used to really enjoy it. Personally, it took some of the fun out – when always having to drive long distances. Birmingham is a fairly large metro area. We need a place where folks can race – and to attract new racers. (I understand there are some dirt tracks in the area. I hope they're doing well.) I've always been partial to asphalt and would like to see some around here. Barbers could be a great place for it. It's only about 12 mins from the downtown area and right off I-20. Hey… great racing atmosphere too!! Beautiful facilities.

Being relatively new to the forum, I can't post links and pics. I'll see if a moderator will flip a switch and allow me to post a pic or two – along with a link to an article that might be of interest.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Well Art you have me interested, I have a Awesmatix a700 that need a home track that is less than 180 miles to get too.Barber's Motorsports Park is only 25 miles for me a would be great.

My plan for the rest of this year is to race at Thunder rc raceway in Nashville, to get ready for the Snowbirds.

You have p.m.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm interested, and maybe my partner in Memphis.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Barbers has a new paved area on the west side of the facility. For those that have been its close to the chapel. I bet as I know they've got planned events for classes and manufacture testing that the track would more than likely be there and would dictate removal. It has been along time for myself to do asphalt but I already come down to Bham at least 4 times for bike events and the Gran Prix so what's another few more times to play with the little cars for bowling trophies.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by freebird
Barbers has a new paved area on the west side of the facility. For those that have been its close to the chapel. I bet as I know they've got planned events for classes and manufacture testing that the track would more than likely be there and would dictate removal. It has been along time for myself to do asphalt but I already come down to Bham at least 4 times for bike events and the Gran Prix so what's another few more times to play with the little cars for bowling trophies.
Hey Freebird....

You're right. The expanded area on the western edge was built for multi-purpose. During the week, that testing/teaching/proving grounds will stay busy. Mercedes just joined Porsche out there. But there should be opportunities for R/C during weekends. That area has so much asphalt now, a couple of activies could possibly take place àt the same time. The 300x150 skid pad is on a hill away enough from the new track. We might be able to race RC while watching big boys fly around.

I'm not able to post a pic yet, but BhamBrent is going to post a pic soon that will show the new expansion. Anyone out there that is interested / please let me know. Post here or PM me. Glad to answer any questions.

Be careful on the two wheels Freebird.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by hairy
I'm interested, and maybe my partner in Memphis.
Thanks Hairy for your interest. This is just now in early talks. But it's encouraging. I'll be sure to keep you informed. Any questions - please ask. PM if you prefer.

Have you been to Barbers? It's an incredible place for sure.

Thanks again.

Art
Old 11-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Here is a picture Art sent me today,looks like a great place for a rc track.

And it was nice talking to you today,I hope we can gets something going out there.
Attached Thumbnails New RC Club and Racing at Barber's in Birmingham?-possible-site.jpg  
Old 11-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm in. Just let me know what needs to be done and I will do what I can. I will be out there on November 20-21 for work/school and if I can I will look at the new area. Is it the flat cleared area that is used for parking near turns 11-12, last time I was out there it was just grass.

Also, I can hear the cars racing on some days so I'm not far from the track.

Another cool event that I'm looking at going to this year is the Le Mons 24. Looks like fun.

Maybe I can drag Brent out with me to see the track.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moochuRC
Thanks Hairy for your interest. This is just now in early talks. But it's encouraging. I'll be sure to keep you informed. Any questions - please ask. PM if you prefer.

Have you been to Barbers? It's an incredible place for sure.

Thanks again.

Art
No I have not. I just figure if Brent is going to be I need to be there to beat him
Old 11-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hairy
No I have not. I just figure if Brent is going to be I need to be there to beat him
Now that's just crazy talk!!! Give me a call, if your going to Nashville anytime soon i'll make plans too be there.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ChrisR40
I'm in. Just let me know what needs to be done and I will do what I can. I will be out there on November 20-21 for work/school and if I can I will look at the new area. Is it the flat cleared area that is used for parking near turns 11-12, last time I was out there it was just grass.

Also, I can hear the cars racing on some days so I'm not far from the track.

Another cool event that I'm looking at going to this year is the Le Mons 24. Looks like fun.

Maybe I can drag Brent out with me to see the track.
The skidpad in the pic. is were talking about having the track. And I would like to come and hang out with you on the 20 or 21th. Just give me a call Chris.

Last edited by bhambrent; 11-07-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Tech Rookie

I'd be very interested. I live in Pelham and I don't have much room for my xo-1. Oh, and I just ironically stumbled across this forum this morning so hello everyone!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Sigma TZ
I'd be very interested. I live in Pelham and I don't have much room for my xo-1. Oh, and I just ironically stumbled across this forum this morning so hello everyone!
Good to hear from you Sigma TZ. I think a lot of folks would enjoy racing at Barbers if we can work it all out. I'm expecting some info from Barbers within a few days - and then we'll begin to formulate a game plan. It's not a done deal, but Barbers is interested in the possibilities. I'll post as we go along. Thanks again for your interest!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.